Bard's Whiskey - Revisited

Discussion forum for Devil Whiskey 3rd Party MODS.

Moderator: Admin

jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

probably too busy DIVA'ing in BT :)
Zakhal
Townie

Post by Zakhal »

Good luck with the project. Ill be holding up playthrough of BT1-3 just incase you manage to finish up this mod one day. This mod might really put som life into this series again (and DW too).
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

The reason I never finished DW was that they released this damn toolkit, and that was pretty much the end of it. Once the modding capabilities are created, the game becomes second string.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

LMAO
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Just as a teaser, here is a pdf file of the new Wilderness. The bottom left corner (enclosed in the blue box) is the current wilderness, and the red box is the new wilderness. Hopefully this is clear to see, as I have only printed out an 11x17 copy, and never tried it on the computer.

I will try to make it a little nicer later on, but I am using this as my guideline for modding.

http://www.geocities.com/bardswhiskey/Orkney.pdf

I tried to make it an image, but that didn't work, so you have to click on the link. I guess because it is a pdf file.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

As a quick update, I tried a few workarounds to the monster issue which has plagued us for oh so many years, but to no avail. That means that my only remaining option would be to add a custom action to simulate the default attacks (kicks, punches, swords, etc)

The downside of this is that with the action editor limits (you will hear this word a lot), any monster attack can hit any member of your party, regardless of their party order.

But, it is either that or the monsters will just never hit you. This is mostly going to be for the higher level monsters.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

That is looking awesome. I like how you left a reserved an area for Ricks mod. Unfinished or not, it was a damn good one. Origen, Furr-Butt will bear your illegitimate children when this is through. :) In all seriousness, the monster attack limitations will be the minutea of the mod, not the meat. For anyone who hasn't played his bt mod, do so. It was an absolutely incredible reproduction, and I didn't feel like DW limited anything. I found it to be quite the opposite. As much as I love BT, it isn't the friendliest interface. DW is much more user friendly. The BT mod was better than BT in my opinion(and I still replay the original series once a year)!!
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

yeah, hey that .pdf looks great + also like allot of work. It'll be great to play it through when it gets done. 8)
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I have not had a chance to play RT's mod (other than a brief and bloody quest with my level 1 test party), and there are a few challenges for getting this added, but hopefully he still has his monster information somewhere, or else it will have to be recreated. Also, the maze part of the wilderness needs to be cleaned up, as it looks like it was originally against the northern border, so it has some holes now that I opened up the map.

But, if everything goes well, this should be a complete release of all previously distributed mods (assuming the original creator would like it to be), and a few new ones as well. If Xoram's Tower gets finished, I can place that as well if dragonbait would like. All I would need other than the standard mod releases, is the monster and item text files he used, as well as any custom actions, if any.

If anyone else wants to put something together, I would basically need the same information. I will then combine the monsters and items with my list, and release everything together.

Also, for anyone who may have noticed, I also added "Origen's Tower" to the wilderness. As of right not, this is a 20 level tower which will hopefully test your characters to the limits. I only have about half drawn out, but so far it is coming along. Some levels are fairly easy, while others appear to be downright evil. :twisted:
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Are you going to make the BT1-3 aspects separate? I mean will we be able to part of BT1, then play with BT2, etc., or will we need to finish all of BT1, then BT2,etc.?
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

For continuity purposes, they will really have to be separate. Once you enter Skara Brae, they are locked in a spell of eternal winter, so just leaving to do something else would defeat the storyline. And Tarjan from BT3 is supposed to be the ultimate enemy, so you should have to defeat him last.

I am going to alter the difficulties, so each game will be progressively harder (unlike the original games, you would need the same guys from BT2 to even survive early in BT3.

So, here is my thoughts:

When starting the game, you will be given a choice of where to start, BT1 or DW. If you choose BT1, you go to Skara Brae and are stuck there until you defeat Mangar. If you decide on DW, you can then enter all of the cities from BT2, and the landmarks and such from BT3, but if you enter Skara Brae (and I will have an extra confirmation here), you will be stuck in the eternal winter, and have to finish.

Once BT1 is completed, you can then do the DW quests, or BT2, or both together. That is completely up to you.

This is the part I still have to decide, but once BT2 (and possibly DW) are completed, Tarjan will appear and wipe everything to ruins, including Rennibister, BT2 cities, and of course Skara Brae. You then have to finish BT3, as that will be the only main quest left (at the time).

At any point (other than when you are trapped in Skara Brae), you can do the optional sidequests, such as the Temple of the elements, Origen's Tower, the Leaf Note quest, Tales of the North, etc.

As with anything else, this is subject to change, but that is how I see it right now.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I like it. It certainly makes sense for continuity purposes. I trust once you defeat the final BT battle, everything will be restored, cities-wise.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Maybe. Things don't just get back to normal overnight, you know. :wink:
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Well, I have been battling through some glitches today, as it seems things just did not want to go right. For some reason, a script is not firing off properly, my map file had some unusual errors, and I seem to get random crashes for no reasons.

I am finished for today, and will see what happens tomorrow. Most of my work has been on the Wilderness, where I am placing Rickstavern's Hedge Maze. Due to the original placement, I had to move it, and fill in some missing pieces. I can't play it right now, due to different data files, but I wanted to at least get the footprint in place.

Other than that, I am working on finishing the TOTE right now. After these are resolved, I will move on to some of the other items on my list.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Man, you are driven this time around. I still haven't been able to find any of the other BT 1 monsters. I will keep trying.