Bard's Whiskey - Revisited

Discussion forum for Devil Whiskey 3rd Party MODS.

Moderator: Admin

Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Can it be variable--whereby a hi-level (hi-Intel?) char could see the # of charges.. like when they Identify an object?

Ideally, the extra info (# of charges or such) would require some extra effort.. 8)
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

Hello, Origen

I've taken some time to look through this thread and I hope that I can help you a little. It's a very ambitious project, but it absolutely can be done.

Concerning monsters... It's a messy subject and I was never able to get them to behave to my satisfaction. However, there are a few things that can be done to make the higher level encounters a bit tougher.

One of the biggest problems is the fact that monsters just cannot hit low AC characters with normal attacks. If you check the actions file that was included in my mod you may notice that I ended up creating a set of attacks of different levels. Basically a weak, average and strong attack. By giving this attack a large to-hit bonus it will actually work (on occasion.) But, as you mentioned, the attack may hit any member of the party and not just the front rank. In addition (and despite my constant begging in the past) the action editor will incorrectly assign a resistance value to melee attacks when none is specified. This means that the party members can outright resist melee attacks that land.

In the end, I found that a mix of the new attacks, some decent spells and the much deadlier ranged attacks can provide a good challenge for a high level party. So, unless someone can correct the action editor then such a mix is what I would recommend. Use the actions file from the beta patch as your source as this includes the new and deadly ranged attacks.

And did you receive what I assume was the last monsters file? I believe that Jykler mentioned he had a newer version in a different thread.

Number of charges on items should be shown. Although charges were hidden in BT1, they were visible in BT2 and BT3.

As I mentioned to you, I looked for (and found) the last source that I had for ToTN. The last public file that I released was from the end of 2006. I did make changes up until the middle of 2007. So, what I have is in many ways different. Here are the last notes that I had from that time.

There were a couple more issues for the beta patch that I never got around to fixing. The red claw class did not compile properly (error with starting equipment) and there are still items that need correction. Those corrections can be easily done if you want.

That's a big friggin' wilderness map. Lots of trees, please. Maybe some rubble and broken structures to give more stuff to look at and to use as landmarks. Please feel free to use any of the graphics from ToTN to add variety.

I'm laughing at your comment of the hedge maze and castles being huge in comparison to other structures in the wilderness. I suppose if you are making the exteriors equal to the actual size of the hedge map then that would be absolutely true.

Interesting aside. Originally the hedge map was very much an intricate maze. However, as I played through I noticed that I was traveling between the castles fairly often and navigating the maze every time was maddening. I turned it more into a hedge garden in the end so that you can quickly run through to the other side. Even so, I still take wrong turns in it.

I still think it's a great map. On a clear day and in the right place you can stand close to one castle and see the other all the way across the map.

I'll help you with issues if you are in need. I had to work out a lot of issues and undocumented items when I was working on my mod. I feel pretty confident that I can help.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

With Rick on board now, I don't see how this can fail. Rick, in regards to the Rev B, there were times when I was unable to tell that my character was ready to level up(normally the level would become green when you were ready to level up). I don't know if anyone else saw this. If you have other things to work on for it, and this is an easy fix, it was very handy to know.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

chaney wrote:Rick, in regards to the Rev B, there were times when I was unable to tell that my character was ready to level up(normally the level would become green when you were ready to level up). I don't know if anyone else saw this.
I think that this is due to the fact that a new items file was compiled, which also produces new files for class, itemcreate and savegame. However, I have to use the class file from the beta patch because I do not have updated XP charts. This may be causing a conflict.

Someone (not me, please) needs to work out the new XP charts from the beta so that we can use newer class file builds. It does not need to be exact, but it is up to us to find a good leveling pace for the classes.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

The wilderness will have lots of trees, bushes, random structures, and other goodies. I liked the idea about some various ruins, which I never thought about, but will look to add. Once all of the main stuff has been added, the rest of the scenery will follow.

I did get the new monsters file from jyk, so I have used that as my base. I have since incorporated all of my BT1 monsters already (pretty much finished, but will probably need a few tweaks) as well as the monsters from the TOTE.

I do wish it was possible to script NPC's joining your party, but that is something that we will have to do without. I had so many good idead with that one, but they will have to fall by the wayside.

I am concerned about the XP charts, as I do not have the newer values, and I would like to have them added. I have not spent the time researching these values, but at some point will have to, unless someone (hopefully) beats me to it. I did figure out the months, so I am sure someone else can handle this one. :)

I am hoping that (RT) you still have your monster and items text files, which may help in building your monsters correctly. I have the actions.dat, so with the action editor, I can pull those values down. If not, these will have to be rebuild manually, in which case I will probably send you an email to determine the general description these things, so they can be at least similar to what you had planned. But that will be a little way off.

If you also have the uncompiled picture file for the Hedge maze, I would like to try to recompile it, as the top seems to have a strange line in it which didn't seem to alpha properly. If not, I may research a good one online and try with that one.

I have not even looked at my faulty script in a few days, as I was busy and just got a PS3, so I have been wasting my life away there, instead of here. But fear not, I am still working on this.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

my 2 cents: pls show the remaining charges on items, if appl.

The lack of this feature was a frustrating part of DW. Knowing the remaining charges helps plan out attacks and strategies with limited resources. It seems obvious that it should have been shown on DW as well.
Rickstavern
Black Claw

Post by Rickstavern »

origen wrote:I am hoping that (RT) you still have your monster and items text files, which may help in building your monsters correctly. I have the actions.dat, so with the action editor, I can pull those values down. If not, these will have to be rebuild manually, in which case I will probably send you an email to determine the general description these things, so they can be at least similar to what you had planned. But that will be a little way off.
I have everything used to build the mod. We'll be able to build complete files when such a point is reached. Just need to watch for conflicts and iron those out
If you also have the uncompiled picture file for the Hedge maze, I would like to try to recompile it, as the top seems to have a strange line in it which didn't seem to alpha properly. If not, I may research a good one online and try with that one.
I know what you are referring to, but it's not the texture. It's the game engine that is causing the artifacts to appear. The lines appear as part of textures that are pointed away from you (edge-on.) Very few textures in the game use tranparency to remove a large portion from the top, so this is why you have not seen this in other places. I'm not sure if it's a problem with how the texture is drawn when at an extreme angle or if it is caused by shadows.

There are other graphic artifacts caused by the game engine, too. Things such as lines between textures when viewed at a distance or the odd swapping of rows of pixels from one side of a texture to the other on floor tiles. They all disappear when up close.

I prefer the textures as they are, anyway. The layered effect in the hedge maze makes it one of the most visually interesting places.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Sounds good to me. I did notice a similar issue I had with my own texture, but I just assumed I messed up the alpha. There are a few rl things getting in my way right now, but I should begin moving forward again in a few days.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Any new updates?
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Truth be told, no. I have had a lot of things going on, but will look to pick things up soon.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Not much action here on the forums lately-any updates?
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

Chaney,

My update is that I am leaving the forums and moving on, now that I finished my little DW projects and adventures. Thank you to all for the fun and the conversations. All the best to O, Dragon, Growler, Chaney, Rick and the rest of the crew. Good luck to you guys and fare very well. I had a BLASTE.

peace.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Sorry to hear that.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Hey Origen, real life still getting in the way of fun?
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Did you get burned out O-man?