Devil Whiskey MEGAMOD-v02a (10/7/2012)

Discussion forum for Devil Whiskey 3rd Party MODS.

Moderator: Admin

dragonbait
Stalker

Devil Whiskey MEGAMOD-v02a (10/7/2012)

Post by dragonbait »

The Megamod has been updated a few times over the years so I thought it best that we give the Megamod a version # so to keep track of the current version of the Megamod in case anyone is unsure if they have the most recent up to date Megamod.

This Megamod version -v02 includes the recently created "Ye Shoppe" by KSS.
It also contains the previous mods from earlier versions of the Megamod
DFend Rennibister! (Rickstavern)
The Great Oracle (RT)
Tales of the North (RT)
The Basement (Dragonbait)
Devil Whiskey Add-on (Origen)
Temple of the Elements (Origen + KSS)
Druid's Challenge (KSS)
& a few fixes and foliage for the wilderness (RT)

PLUS containing the beta patch version 2.01b-unofficial (RT)

All the above was compiled into this zip file on 4/5/2011......+ updated again at the same link on 10/7/2012

-Dragonbait

A minor change only affecting the Readme files for the Devil WHiskey Megamod is indicated in the code below as of 10/7/2012. This was updated because the Defend Rennibister Mod was originally created for version 2.0, and using it with the patched 2.01b version with Megamod, it has been reported that because of the monster's ranged attacks implemented in one of the official patches made completing the quest harder than it originally was. See comments in code below. i.e. changed from low level characters to mid-level (8+)characters.

Code: Select all

The Devil Whiskey MEGAMOD project
(Readme last edited by DB 10/7/2012)

After Applying the Megamod, it is best to start over with a new team rather than use teams from prior saves, as games saved prior to installing the Megamod may lose compatibility. Start a new Party!

Defend Rennibister!

The captain of the Guard of Rennibister has been given an office at the barracks in the town plaza.  He is a busy man, but he might have time to meet with you.
The content of this additional quest is geared primarily towards mid level characters. If you have not reached at least level 8 level characters, you might want to consider putting off this quest until then.	

Last edited by dragonbait on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

That is awesome db. Thanks for keeping up on it!
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
KSS
Black Claw

Post by KSS »

While re-testing Ye Shoppe for Chaney, I noticed that I forgot to correct maps/renEvents.cfg : line 25 (...test) should be deleted, and the # removed from the following line (...1st_help).

That won't affect parties that have already started the main quest, but would prevent new ones from meeting Leughmaghen.

I've already corrected the Shoppe link; please re-update the MegaMod.

Sorry about that.

KSS
Drinks, for it bes mine sap.
Eats, for it bes mine fruitsie.
Don't havers toucherings, for it bes mine asses.

Gospel of the Woodsie Lord
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

OK. It is updated. Same link as above.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Nice, very helpful Dragon!

Hey, anyone know what sequence a newbie should play the mods in?
Perhaps along with the main game? -er..well, without giving away plots stuff 8)

Think Origen's Add-on is one of the easiest (ie, good for low-level crews), and then perhaps RT's Defend Rennibister--but not sure what should come next?

Tales of the North is supposed to be hard--req'ing very hi-lev crew.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I can't believe you haven't played it yet. I thought it was as good as DW itself.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

chaney wrote:I can't believe you haven't played it yet. I thought it was as good as DW itself.
Assuming ye mean TotN, no--never got a compatible crew anywhere near high enough. Instead I've periodically started a new crew to test things out.. and never get any of them higher than lev 13 or so.. hope to eventually since no doubt TotN is uber-cool.

RT had a much smaller/easier precursor? version that I played--recall it was good fun.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
KSS
Black Claw

Post by KSS »

Hummm DB, sorry again but I had to fix yet another file...

Here's the link : script

Hoping there won't be (too many) other problems :)
Drinks, for it bes mine sap.
Eats, for it bes mine fruitsie.
Don't havers toucherings, for it bes mine asses.

Gospel of the Woodsie Lord
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

The download link has been updated to include the fixed script. MEGAMOD-v02a (4/5/2011)
chaney
Stalker

Megamod

Post by chaney »

Thanx Dragonbait. I really appreciate that you keep up with the MegaMod changes.
Walker Boh
Orker

Post by Walker Boh »

I followed the directions of unzipping the mega mod in the DW root directory. However the dw.exe 1304Kb, 5-17-2004 did not get replaced by the dw.exe 880Kb, 10-19-2004. Also the zlib1.dll did not get in.

I ended up creating a directory, unzipping the mega mod zip into it, and manually copying every file to every corresponding directory. I can now get into stores and into the arena and choose beasts, respectable w/o crashes.

I was running a party on a different computer the last 3 days, have them up to levels 15 through 18 today. Everytime I was in the wilderness, random crashes occurred. When I entered the arena and chose beasts, respectable, I got an immediate crash.

Now with the 2nd time tonight to get every file correctly placed, I have 3 parties that can navigate the game correctly. I have that 4 party, mentioned above as being played the last 3 days, stuck on the 2nd floor in the basement. I could not enter the orc room or the kobold room -- instant crashes, multiple trials at this. Now, when I start the game, I cannot even get this group to load, instant crash.

Can anyone debug a party save file for me?
Mikey
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Was the party save file in question made prior to applying the megamod? If so that is likely the reason for the crashes.

It works best to install the dw game, then apply the megamod, then create a new team to go through the game with megamod applied.
Walker Boh
Orker

Post by Walker Boh »

The mega mod install was done over a freshly installed dw. The party was then formed.

I've been looking at the 2 dw.exe files. There is also a zlib1.dll file that was added in the mega mod.

I have parties that have run under original 2.0 and those that were started after the mega mod. In the original game, I got no crashes, was able to transition different locations in the game with no problem, and 1 and 2 hit die creatures were not able to score automatic hits with arrows against -25 AC!!!!!!!!!!

Today, I booted the other computer, got the newer party all the way home to the travelers' inn, and they are functional now.

With the mega mod installed, I have had map transition crashes, crashes inside store from moving around a lot of inventory between players, and this AWFUL automatic hit by any creature with a missle weapon.

So this morning, I have played around with the 2 exe files and the dlls. It now appears that with mega mod installed, zlib.dll and zlib1.dll, and the 1304 Kb exe file, I have a functional game. I am still concerned about stability; I save after just about any encounter or every 50 steps.

I'll keep you posted.
Mikey
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

What OS are you using? I've played both version 2.0 and then the patched version with megamod on Windows XP and I only remember having crashed once in all the times that I've played.

Did you get the boxed CD version? or from some download combo pack? Just curious.

The increased ranged attacks were part of one of the official patches. IIRC the dev's wanted to increase the effectiveness of some of the monsters attacks as some of them were too weak or ineffective at hitting the party once the party reached a certain AC point.

I wouldn't hold your breath on the dev's releasing any new updates or patches any time soon, or at all.

But it may be possible to release another unofficial update making modifications to the monster file since we have that now, and I went through all available monster files and combined them all into 1 with descriptions added to make it easier to see what types of attack monsters use. (see my post re: monsters.txt)

Take the Wight for example,

Wight
Wights
15 13 12 12 15 3 3 13 4
2 0 5 0 5 0 2 20
1 0 21 24
360 120
0 0
16000 4000
1200 400
#pics/monsters/wight.dat
Wight
4 0 2
0x000e0001 1
0x00062027 4
#lsr eng lch
0x00022028 2
#grtr r heal
0x0016207a 3
#axe throw
random 200 1d3+0
Bluesilver_Throwing_Axe 200
#
# skill: Lifedraining (heals itself) attack 1d6, 1d6 goes from PC to wight
# skill: rapid healing
# attack: gropes at (for Lifedrain)
#
# 
We see that

0x0016207a 3
is an axe throw

It could be eliminated. If eliminated we'd want to also remove the bluesilver axe from the possible treasure. Would need to change 4 0 2 to 3 0 1 and change attack sequence 4 to 3 so could end up with something like

Wight
Wights
15 13 12 12 15 3 3 13 4
2 0 5 0 5 0 2 20
1 0 21 24
360 120
0 0
16000 4000
1200 400
#pics/monsters/wight.dat
Wight
3 0 1
0x000e0001 1
0x00062027 3
#lsr eng lch
0x00022028 2
#grtr r heal
random 200 1d3+0
#
# skill: Lifedraining (heals itself) attack 1d6, 1d6 goes from PC to wight
# skill: rapid healing
# attack: gropes at (for Lifedrain)
#
# 
Then monsters.dat would need to be updated.
Though if we were to do that I wonder how effective its other attacks are. It could be supplemented with some other attack, but the thought of going through and changing monster stats and attacks really does not interest me. I would rather focus on new things and places to visit.
Walker Boh
Orker

Post by Walker Boh »

Hi Dragonbait,
I like new map areas also. And I'd love to see more.

THAC0 is an idea from D&D that I've always encountered. Missle attacks by creatures that don't have a +50 Bow of Slaying against an AC -25 shouldn't hit but 1 to 5% of the time. I mean my level 30 characters still miss! If ever in the works, I'd like to see the THAC0 implemented better for determining outcomes of actions in combat. I find the instant hits against any party member a real hindrance for new parties, making the game nerve-wrackingly slow and boring.

My work-around is to use the older dw.exe file, which eliminates these outrageous ranged weapon attacks. At points I have to SAVE GaME and reopen the game with the newer dw.exe file to enter new map areas. Anyway it seems to work and makes the game quite enjoyable again.

I've had the game a week and probably put in 50 hours. I like it!

For those (Chaney) following my Cloak of the Hero woes, since having a fully functional game, I solved it this afternoon.

Cheers!
Mikey