Secret doors appear as regular doors when hitting Tab (Map)

Discussion forum for Devil Whiskey 3rd Party MODS.

Moderator: Admin

dragonbait
Stalker

Secret doors appear as regular doors when hitting Tab (Map)

Post by dragonbait »

I have some secret doors implemented in my mod, however when clicking on [tab], to view the map, it appears that my secret doors are visible to anyone viewing the map.

I have in my walls.cfg file the following...

Code: Select all

#zzshrineWalls.cfg
#Nodename Filename Collision(non-zero=true)Special Type(0=standard, 1=secret door,-1=floor tile)Height (default=1,max 4)
zzstonepatternD pics/walls/zzstonepattern.dat   0   1
Is there some extra trick that fools the map into thinking the secret door is a wall and thus not show the obvious door that it is on the [tab] map screen?

I realize that my question may fall upon deaf ears as the DW seems a game long forgotten now, but if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly apprecialted.
:wink:
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

No idea, but..a possible workaround: somehow disable the [Tab] map?

Or.. somehow blackout the area--as far as the [tab]map is concerned?

Hey, at least you've now given us a sweet hint! :P

Btw, were there any (or many?) secret doors in DW??
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Well, I went through the wall files to see if I could find any instances of Special Type 1, but there just doesn't seem to be any.

Some things that I found of interest.....

Origen uses an invisible wall in the TotE mod

#DK_Cave_Wall
#Nodename       Filename    Collision(non-zero=true)
Invis	pics/walls/invisi.dat		1	0
The Guard Tower has hidden doors
(but according to the code, they too would also appear as regular doors in the tab map)

#gtowerwalls2
#Nodename       Filename    Collision(non-zero=true)
Wall             pics/walls/towerwall.dat 1
Door             pics/walls/housedoor01.dat 0
HiddenDoor       pics/walls/towerwall.dat 0

#gtowercells2
# Hidden Doors
#<Cell name>    <N Wall>   <W Wall>   <S Wall> <E Wall><type><floor><garnish>
HiddenDoor1	NULL       HiddenDoor Wall     NULL     0
HiddenDoor2	HiddenDoor Null       Null     Null     0
The hidden door uses the same image as does the towerwall, so it would look like a wall in the 3d view, but acts as a regular door as the collision is set to 0 but there is no Special Type so anyone hitting tab would be able to find the hidden door.

Also, the Guard Tower Level 2 doesn't even use gtowerwalls2.cfg (containing the hidden doors), and neither do the other guard tower levels.

Guard Tower Level 2 uses gtower2walls.cfg so unless there is some sort of switcheroo that happens in the Guard tower that modifies the map configuration to change the wall config file to gtowerwalls2.cfg (doubtful), then the hidden doors were never even used.

I haven't checked Origen's BT mod though. May have to look into that.

In regards to disabling the map, I don't think that's possible with only the modding tools we've been given.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Surprising that no secret doors were used in DW!?
But I didn't recall any..half figured I'd simply missed 'em. :?

Wonder if they didn't implement secret doors Because the [tab]map showed them--and they were waiting for that 'bug' or whatever to be fixed?

Well, if ye can't disable the map, then just post a serious *WARNING* to anyone daring to use it while anywhere near a possible [secret] door ;)
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Hey, anyone else been getting error messages when attempting to post here recently? (past week or two)
The message appears to get posted in spite of the error message indicating otherwise.. kinda..funky. :? :roll: :?
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Copy of error message when attempting to post previous message (one re the getting of post-error messages! ?)

General Error

Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 554 5.5.4 shifting-suns.com is not a domain hosted on this web server. Please contact technical support if you wish to bypass this check.

DEBUG MODE

Line : 165
File : smtp.php
Substance : crack
Variance : moderate
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Growler wrote:Wonder if they didn't implement secret doors Because the [tab]map showed them--and they were waiting for that 'bug' or whatever to be fixed?
Probably. Oh well.

+ yeah I get some of those error messages when posting also.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I get them as well. That was why some of my early messages were posted twice. I didn't realize they were posting, and re-posted. I make it a habit to ctrl c what I type, just for sit's like that. I looked through The BT mod, and couldn't find any invisible doors.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Yeah, secret doors was never really implemented properly in the game, so they always show up on the map. Two of my bigger mapping complaints was that you could never really have a secret door without it showing up, and every wall can be phased, or warped, whatever it is called in DW. It really made a lot of the cool (or evil) tricks impossible to implement as it was too easy to get around them.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

O-man, I feel yer pain..always tuff when one can't pursue evil deeds to their (un?)natural max.. still, it's kinda good to have ye back.

If only (ok, mostly) to pick-axe. :twisted:
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

There were walls where those spells didn't work.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!