Devil Whiskey on a Mac?

Post any topic here, DW related or not.

Moderator: Admin

thesketch
Townie

Devil Whiskey on a Mac?

Post by thesketch »

Hello,

Let me begin RIGHT off the bat by apologizing if I've posted in the wrong area or have put up a dupe question. I tried searching the forums for an answer for this but haven't had any luck...

Anyway. I suspect it would be too much to hope for for a MAC port of this, which is obviously what I am running. Anyone had any luck compiling the Linux version on a mac? I would buy it and try my luck at compiling it, however I'm not QUITE an experienced enough UNIX user to sort things out if it didn't work right off the bat. If there was any sort of background to suggest it wouldn't be too hard I would buy this almost immediately.

Anyway, looks like a great project and would love to take part.

Thanks,

- TkeSketch
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

Current and older Macs run on a proprietory processor and other internal components. Thus, the entire game would have to be rewritten in order to work with the Macintosh hardware. They just swapped over to the Intel chipset, which is still based upon the old 8086 processor; and uses an expanded version of the 8086 Assembly language. So no, the Linux version would not just compile on a Mac. You'd have to write the underlying code that allows it to access any and all hardware functions.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

That's really too bad. I'm sure DW would get allot of new customers if they had the game on Macintosh format.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Well, as Dommer mentioned, newer Macs are sportin' Intel/8086-compatible chippers...so seems there's a better/easier chance that some translation/emulation software may allow DW to run eventually..
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor