Oblivion...

Post any topic here, DW related or not.

Moderator: Admin

douglas_b
Green Dragon

Oblivion...

Post by douglas_b »

Has anyone else here tried the latest Elder Scrolls game out?

I have been addicted to it for the last several weeks.

Interesting concept not only fight the baddies at home in various dungeons, but also visit hell itself... hence Oblivion....

Anyone play the previous Elder Scrolls game: Morrowind?

Curious.
"Have no way as way. Have no limitation as limitation."
Lord Greybeard
Townie

Post by Lord Greybeard »

I played Morrowind - Loved it. also played the 2 add-ons.
I also played some of the MODs that were available.

That was quite a while ago - I lost my Disk-1 , so since I had deleted the gave from my system, can't install it anymore.

Looking forward to Oblivion, but my system is WAY too weak. Time for an overhaul.
If anything can go wrong, it will... Murphy's Law
"Murphy was an optimist" [prlc's Law]
douglas_b
Green Dragon

Post by douglas_b »

Yea most systems were way too weak. The system requirements are way too high. It is a good game tho. I do enjoy playing it a lot.

Only one thing knocks it... Morrowind had a much better storyline.
"Have no way as way. Have no limitation as limitation."
Ziusudra
Black Claw

Post by Ziusudra »

I loved Morrowind--and whatever that game was before it. I didn't realize the new one was out--thanks!
Nuwa wadar-ma ekkatani. Nuwa sinda-on ezzatani.
cutterjohn
Townie

Post by cutterjohn »

I upgraded my system and got it.

To be honest I was pretty disappointed after getting past the nifty updated graphics.

The optional quests(sidequests) didn't seem to be very good, and there seemed to be far fewer of them.

The further moronization of the skill system was annoying. Maces/axes?! related?! wtf?! etc.

Obvious console targetting: no game dialog based save game naming, HUGE fonts with limited # of line displayed, making all the cities interior/separate cells, fast travel, quest GPS(why does anyone need a game guide with this in the game?), etc.

Physics: big deal arrows fly more balistically, things knock over and roll around, some traps. Where's the breakage?! etc. Mostof what they DID implement could have easily been done w/o Havok.

Facegen: Made faces somewhat better, but they look pretty cartoony to me overall.

Speedtree: probably the only really good addition.

Gamebryo: either Bethesda did a MUCH better job optimizing it, or the netimmerse engine was just that crappy...

scripting: ripped out some useful features w/o adding anything really useful, e.g. bye bye loops...

Main quest: ah, it's ok. Not nearly as good as Daggerfall or Morrwind's though...

Horse combat: what? is this going to be a $40 download?

Nickle and diming PC users because M$ wanted residual revenue stuff for live for the console kiddies... (I've yet to see a mod that did as much as the free morrowind official mods, or even most of the current Oblivion fan mods)

The hmmm... we've run out of time so lets make Imperial City a little itty bitty place. They'll never notice that it's REALLY small for the capital of a continent spanning empire... oh yeah, we'll also have to cut out all those other non-main quest related cities too, and little pesky villages, etc. nad save those for a $40 expansion...

New combat system: meh, they really should've plagiarized Gothic 3,as they may as wel not have bothered with what they ended up with...

Random items: I kept sneaking up to windows in cities and wondering why I couldn't enter via windows, I kept walking up to what looked like climable walls wondering why I couldn't climb(again!), picked up a dagger and a sword and wondered why I could only use one at a time, thought about how awful wearing that armor over bare skin would really suck luckily it was just a game, wondered why the werewolves suddenly died off(not that I really cared), wondering why trees, etc. could cast shadows while buildings and many other objects couldn't, etc.

Overall, Oblivion felt like Bethesda did something really stupid as in: Hey! Let's buy all these cool packages(speedtree, facegen, havok, gamebryo, etc.) then use our flagship product as a guinea pig. (I pretty much wonder exactly why they couldn't release it for christmas... etiher they didnt spend full time on it, or they've got some real crap developers, felt like a real rush job. Makes me fear for Fallout 3... I can just see it now 2 sq. mi. gaming area, 3 skills: fight, science, talk, 2 stats hp and well something, 3 weapons: a dagger, a gun, and an energy weapon, 2 towns, and umpteen-million real time hyperactive boss fights with playback "features" and auto movie saving for sharing with your little buddies on live...)

(I also wonder how they missed all of those remaining obvious bugs, if they spent an additional 6m debugging, esp. the inventory bugs and quest bugs.)

So, I've gone with re-installing MW, adding MGE 3.0 (distamnt lands for MW), tons of mods the old machine couldn't handle and am having fun with that until something compelling is added for Oblivion.