Registry Editor??

Post any topic here, DW related or not.

Moderator: Admin

Meanwhile
Green Dragon

Registry Editor??

Post by Meanwhile »

My computer is getting kind of sluggish + read that every now+then you should clean out your registry to help regain speed. I was looking online and wondered if anyone here has used RegSeeker 1.52? or what registry editor they use? Recommendations or Warnings?
Defenders fell, their bane come true, Garth, Roscoe, Kylearan too!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Not familiar with RegSeeker, but generally be Very careful about using any program that claims to be able to 'clean' your registry or whatever.. many of them turn out to be either useless or make things worse--whether inadvertently or on purpose (ie, malware posing as 'CleanUpWare').

I'd first try some anti-ad/spy/mal-ware programs first & see if that helps with the sluggy issue.

Also, at least on Windows systems (98, Me, XP & likely Vista), there are these super-hidden 'index' files that grow & grow & grow over time & as you use Internet..that slow systems down over time..

SpyBot (listed below) has a built-in tool that can safely wipe these type files along with other temp files that clog systems over time.

Here's some excellent free security software that I've been using for years & have run on scores of systems for clients:

SpyBot (also incl. extras clean-type tools that are great--just switch it to advanced mode for tools)
Ad-Aware
Spyware Blaster
AVG Anti-Spyware (formerly the kick-arse Ewido)
F-Secure BlackLight (perhaps the best & easiest free anti-Rootkit)

Most of these you can get at download.com or MajorGeeks.com

And of course, def need a solid anti-virus (which typically helps against worms & trojans as well)
AVG Anti-Virus - free edition (still gets automatic daily updates)
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

I've heard good things about RegSeeker, but as any registry editor it'd be vital that ye know what ye be doin' regarding anything related to the registry. Personally I really like Spybot Search+Destroy plus AVG Antivirus + AVG-AntiSpyware as Growler points out. AVG Anti-spyware kicks butt. It found some garbage that no other stuff was able to find on my system. That's what I use. I also like CCleaner- all-purpose cleaning. Seems to work well and i've never had any problems. Plus you gotta have a firewall. It's essential. I use ZoneAlarm firewall. And you need a good Anti-Virus. I used to use Symantec AV. - cause i got it free from my job, but I've since ditched that for AVG Antivirus since I think it does a better job or at least did in my experience.

Anyone else's input on this vital issue?
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

Yeah, don't use McAffey. It's a worse virus than most that you'd get from not having any protection. Incessant spam, harassment, and slowdown coupled with needed a shotgun to uninstall it = virus to me.

AVG, SpyBot, Zonealarm, Ad-Aware. These are 4 essential programs that no Winblows computer should be without, unless you like viruses. As I have Linux, I haven't checked out AVG's anti-spyware program, but the AV is top-notch, far superior to McAffey and Norton's crap. So I wouldn't hesitate in the least to install it.

Vigilant use of these 4 programs means at a minimum of a scan from each AV and spyware killer a week. All of them should be kept up to date as best your able, check for updates at least once a week.Your firewall and AV should never be turned off for a moment that your computer runs. I automatically distrust anything that states to turn off any AV or Firewalls. Any games and such you run online can be allowed access, so there's no reason for the firewall to be turned off.

There's tons of programs out there, however these 4 are the ones that have served me well. In addition, grab Mozilla's Firefox. While some incompetents have websites designed only for use on VirusExplorer (I.E.); most aren't worth bothering with, and if by some imaginary stretch they are, you'll still have the old POS to go there. It's more secure, without the incompetence in design of IE, and won't run many of the more "friendly" scripts that are IE built.

As for RegCleaner, I used it, but the motherboard on that computer burned up shortly afterwards. That's not related I don't believe, but I have not other experience with it.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
Meanwhile
Green Dragon

Post by Meanwhile »

thanx for the info :)
Defenders fell, their bane come true, Garth, Roscoe, Kylearan too!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Def get/install SpyBot & then run it in SafeMode (start tapping F8 soon as yer sys starts booting) ..SafeMode prevents many malware progs from launching, should increase the odds of a successful SpyBot scan, & also help when ya run the wipe function:

Make sure yer running Spybot's 'advanced mode' (drop-down to right of 'file' menu--sez 'Mode')

click 'Tools' in lower left column options

make sure there's a check mark beside 'Secure Shredder' in main window, then click 'Secure Shredder' in upper-left column

click drop-down 'Templates' & click on 'Add files from Temp folder' (close & relaunch SpyBot to do the next/3rd one down called 'Add Internet Explorer cache files' since these templates can produce Huge #'s of files)

once the main screen is populated** with all yer temp or cache files, hit 'Chop it away!'

**may take a minute or 3 to fully populate all yer temp &/or cache files; if your sys has too many temp/cache files, then SpyBot may get hosed.. hopefully not, cuz if successful--this shredder function (using preset templates) can Really help a sluggish system..
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
HGamer
War Monger

Post by HGamer »

I agree with using Ad-Aware religiously, and a good AV suite. I personally am using McAfee, but other than it having to be shooed away from one downloaded archive it works for me. If I don't tell it to stop scanning that one file, it seems to hang on it for about 8 hours. Also, if you've got broadband internet, open only the minimum number of ports that are necessary. And use a software firewall even if you're behind NAT, just in case, although I personally can think of quite a few firewall programs I'd use before I resorted to the Windows XP M$ one.
I actually have RegSeeker 1.52 and have used it several times, but I can't say it has really improved anything. It didn't get rid of two bogus uninstall entries, so I'll probably have to use the Registry Editor to remove them by hand.
1 point 21 jigawatts!