Pool of Radiance + / or sequels or other gold box games
17%
Baldur's gate + / or sequels
No votes
Icewind Dale + / or sequels
No votes
Dragon Wars
8%
Devil Whiskey (If you don't pick this one Jykler is gonna terminate your DW username!!)
17%
Ultima + / or sequels
No votes
Eye of the Beholder + / or sequels
No votes

Total votes: 12

Meanwhile
Green Dragon

What's your favorite RPG????

Post by Meanwhile »

What is your favorite RPG???

And again there are only 10 option inputs for these polls so if you have another RPG that isn't on the list just add it on in a reply. :D
Defenders fell, their bane come true, Garth, Roscoe, Kylearan too!
Meanwhile
Green Dragon

Post by Meanwhile »

Sorry jykler, but Bard's Tale 1 is still my favorite. Guess you'll just have to kill me now. :twisted: :P
Defenders fell, their bane come true, Garth, Roscoe, Kylearan too!
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Guess that's two for Bard's Tale. I am sure everyone is shocked I picked that one.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Tuff call, but gotta go wid me first RPG :: ye olde Wizardry I.

But Bard's Tale II was super-cool (only played BTI via Origen's mod--which was awesome).

And Ultima II & III ~ very sweet.

Oh yeah--Devil Whiskey was plenty groovy too-vee! :P
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

A tie between Bard's Tale I and Bard's Tale III. DW is real close though.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

I'd have to say Pool of Radiance, followed closely by Bard's Tale 1 :P
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

For the 3 BT games, I would have to say 3 is my favorite, since it gave me many more years of enjoyment, as well as being the forst RPG I ever played, on my brother's C-64. It is also the only game of the trilogy that I have never completed, and it looks like it may never happen. The C-64 version is too slow now that I am used to more advanced technology, and the DOS version sucks!!! I have not tried any of the other versions, so I can not say how they are.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

With the danger of getting off topic, I tried the Apple 2 Emulator for BT3, and it is much better than the DOS. I may try to play all 3 games on that, and see how it goes.
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

good question, I'd go with DW, followed extremely closely by BT2, then BT3. The graphics go a long way to making it more enjoyable than BT series, although the lack of riddles/tasks in DW is underdeveloped, compared to BT. The riddles in BT2 were excellent but overdeveloped (basically impossible to get through the entire game without consulting the clue book once), which forced reliance on the clue book. The riddles/tasks in BT3 were good, possibly a bit underveloped, but very close to being ideal.

Looking forward to eventually getting to the mod's, which I'm sure have vastly improved riddles/tasks compared to the basic DW.
illespal
Crueman

Post by illespal »

Wizardry 7 was the one I played most thoroughly, so I must vote for it. It was one of the first RPGs I've played and also amongst the others it was the most complex one and most addictive. I liked the idea of a large planet surface to roam and a lot fun maze and city to wander. Plus the non linear play through, the nice 2d animated gfx for the beings of Guardia.
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

A tie between Wizardry and Ultima, but I think I enjoyed Wizardry 6, 7, and 8 more than I did Ultima 6. Never played U7 and up, and only briefly played the earlier ones, even though I have all of them up to U8. Including Alkalabeth, which I had on my cell phone.

Wiz8 is one of the best modern RPGs IMO.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

I was looking at Wiz8, and it is impressive in many many ways, but it has lost some of the key benefits of Wiz7 and BT1,2,3, namely the now continuous fights from all sides that have to be physically monitored in real time. Otherwise, it looks awesome and I can see why it has been so popular. Still, I looked at a you-tube of the final fight and the drawn out fight in quasi-real-time looked a bit lame. I'm sure the buildup during the quests are much better than the ending and the boss fights.

Anyone know of any you-tube videos of the intermediate quests and non-fight quest scenes/riddles?
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

You don't have to have real time combat in wiz8 unless you want to. About the main difference is that, due to the 3D perspective, battles are a bit more tactical than Wiz7 or BT. You have party formation, facing, reach weapons, flanking enemies, etc... And of course instead of hitting "advance" to move to melee with the next group, you actually have to run at them, and forfeit most of your turn.

I left my party sitting, having a calm chat with the monsters while I went to do other things. They're real polite in that game, unlike Growler.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Hey, my dear old chum (more fish bait, that one!) The Dom is back!

Ya-hoo!

Still crafting machine-gunners & flame-throwers fur yer Ford Tanksters?
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

In that case, it appears that Wiz8 will be getting a visit in the next few years by another 'young' party of adventurers