My Bard Tale Adventure

Post any topic here, DW related or not.

Moderator: Admin

origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

My Bard Tale Adventure

Post by origen »

Well, I started playing Bard's Tale on the Apple II, which I have never done before, and it is much more difficult than the other versions I have played. I am barely able to stay alive at level 1. Unlike the Dos and C64 versions, you can get attacked by multiple groups of monsters in the city. I am used to only having to face 1 group. Also, the starting HP caps at 19, which I believe is similar to the C-64, while the Dos goes up to 29. Since some of these starting monsters are hitting for 10 points at a clip, I have been dying a lot. But, since this is my quest to finally beat Tarjan, I will stick with it, and hope that my geys don't toil for long on these levels. While I do not want it to be a cakewalk, I would like to survive a fight.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Yeah the AppleII version was allot of fun. That's what I originally played the Bard's Tale on way back in 1980 something. with an Apple IIe. How's your new team doing? Have you gotten through the the wine cellar/sewers yet?
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I forgot I opened this post. :oops:

Anyway, I attempted to play the quick version of BT1, since I have sompleted it so many times in the past, so my goal was to build strong characters who will set me up in good position for the next game.

I had to drop some characters, as their stats were stuck at 1, with no way to restore them. I took full advantage of the Berserkers, and got a party of level 20 and 2 full level wizards ready for Mangar.

And, of course, died in Level 5 of the tower. Again. And Again. And Again.

Too many times to count. Unfortunately, I decided to skip the first three levels of the tower (APAR all the way), and quickly made my way past level 4. Without taking advantage of the great items that could be found on these levels, my mages quickly lost all of their SP's, and after that, it was just downhill.

So, my new strategy was to troll along on the lower levels, and get a couple of Mage Staffs. After that, it was Mangar, watch out.

While it still wasn't as simple as I remember (some people just refused to stay alive), Mangar and his minions lie dead.

But, there is still work to be done. I trained up a total of 9 adventurers (2 Warriors, 1 Hunter, Monk, Bard, Rogue, and 3 Wizards), and found most of the items in the game. I would like to find the remaining items before proceeding to the second game, but most specifically, I would like a Death Dagger, Stoneblade, and a WizWand or two.

The other items I would like to have are the Travelhelm, Spiritdrum, and various Figurines (Lich, Mongo, Old Man) which I never use anyway. Once that happens, it will be off to Tangramayne, and hopefully more updates.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Are you using AppleIIe emulator? + if so let us know if you can transfer your characters OK and also whether all those cool items can transfer from BT1 to BT2 or if some don't make it through.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

It looks like the characters should transfer properly. I expect it will be similar to other verisions, where some items make it, some are changed, and others are just deleted.

It has something to do with the item codes, which can be found on most BT websites for the three games.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

It is a little dissapointing, but only about half of the items that I had have transferred from BT1 to BT2.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Hey Origen, don't suppose you got any pics of mangar while using the apple version do you? If so if you could please post one or send me an email attachment. That would be great. It'd be a nice addition to my icestorm9999's bard's tale page. 8)

I'd be sure to give you the picture credit too. :D
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Of course I didn't get any. But since I still have it on my cpu, I can get it for you.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

That'd be great! :D
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I've been too busy to do much with BT2 or getting the picture, but hopefully this weekend I can have some progress. I have gotten 4 pieces of the sceptor so far, but I have admittedly been running through the game at a very quick pace, if only because I want to get to BT3. However, I have noticed a disturbing trend that my party sucks, and seems to die an awful lot. I have been replacing characters here and there, but some of them like to die with an amazing regularity.
Blkadr
Orker

Post by Blkadr »

Dragonbait,

Dammit, I tried to copy Mangar and paste him into this. This is the best I can do: http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/pc/b ... _ani.shtml

Photographs complements of Growler.