Yo, all! And - Anyone know of reskins of the old BTs?

Post any topic here, DW related or not.

Moderator: Admin

Jackrabbit
Townie

Yo, all! And - Anyone know of reskins of the old BTs?

Post by Jackrabbit »

I hope I'm not too late to the party. But I recently started up BT1. Last time I played it was, like, 1988. I swear, this game still rules. I can't turn it off. I'm currently mapping out the sewers.

Anyway, though, so I was delighted to see a newer version of a classic. I hope DW isn't a dead effort. Is it?

Also, looking at the graphics of BT2 and BT3, I'm reminded that I enjoyed the graphics of BT1 better. Just better artwork. For instance, in BT3 (at least the PC version) male monks, rogues, warriors all look the same :P. Anyone know of any "reskinning" jobs that were done by fans and modders of any of the old BTs, something that changes the looks but not the game?

Thanks!
You've been fried for 3 damage!
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

DW is very worth the price of admission. The developers seem to have gone off somewhere, but there are user mods to add to the fun of the game as well. It is like BT, but with a friendlier interface.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Hi Jackrabbit,

There were a couple of mods created with the Bard's Tale construction set.

The Bard's Lore and the Warriors Tale. They can be downloaded here.
http://www.bardstaleonline.com/Homebrew/

Devil Whiskey is really the best "old school style rpg" around. It's gameplay is very similar to the Bard's Tale, but has much improved graphics. It also comes with modding tools so you can add on to the game or design your own game using the DW engine. It's really allot of fun + there are numerous how-to modding threads to help you along the way.

The DW developers are M.I.A. though.

+ Yes the Devil Whiskey is worth its price of admission. The boxed version should be available for it too. (comes with a nice manual, + CD disk.)
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

The Warriors Tale is actually a tribute to BT made by Conlan Rios. It was not made with the BT Construction set. It was a very fun game though. The link for that is listed on the same page as the homebrewed one posted by Dragonbait. :lol:
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Jackrabbit
Townie

Post by Jackrabbit »

Sweet. Looks like the party is still on. Thanks for the replies. Also, it looks like Origen recreated BT1 with Devil Whiskey?
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Yeah Origen remade Bards Tale I with DW. I'm sure that got allot of people interested in the Devil Whiskey as well.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

hey 3 registered users logged in at once! haven't seen that in a while.
Jackrabbit
Townie

Post by Jackrabbit »

Speaking of "Warrior's Tale," anyone ever messed around with the program Game Maker?

Looking at the screenshots and manual from Warrior's Tale, it looks like it could accomplish everything Bard's Tale was and more. Plus, it allows you to avoid the extreme limitations of BTCS, and perhaps similar limitations and lack of dev support in modding DW.

I'm confident I could produce something worthwhile with some basic talent in coding and graphic design, but if I were to get into the work of modding, I don't think I'd bother unless I have full sway to do anything I want such as custom races and classes.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

I haven't heard of it until now. That's a really good idea.
Something I'll probably look into after I complete my Xoram's Tower DW mod.

If you start designing an rpg game with Game Maker in the style of the old bard's tale games, be sure to post your progress and your final product here. I'm sure I and others here at the DW forums would like to play it once it is complete and see its progress along the way.
Jackrabbit
Townie

Post by Jackrabbit »

I surely will if I do. I haven't even toyed with GM yet, so I might just be talking out of my butt. :lol:
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Jackrabbit wrote:I surely will if I do. I haven't even toyed with GM yet, so I might just be talking out of my butt. :lol:
Well, no one 'round Heah's ever been accused (or accursed) of speaking via dare dairy-airey!

:twisted: :shock: :twisted:
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor