What would ya'll like for another BT style game?

Post any topic here, DW related or not.

Moderator: Admin

Jackrabbit
Townie

What would ya'll like for another BT style game?

Post by Jackrabbit »

If another BT clone came out, what would you like to see? The same formula of Dwarves, Gnomes, Elves, Humans, etc, as Warriors, Monks, Rangers, Wizards, etc, taking on an evil wizard? I thought it might be cool to see something a little different, like maybe a historical setting with all humans taking on a different kind of foe.
You've been fried for 3 damage!
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

maybe something in the realm of -a race of superior alien or monsters set out for the destruction of the human race using humans as slaves. a small band of hero's sets on a journey to free humankind. maybe also have alternative syle classes + races available so that you can create a goblin or troll warrior or some other race not usually seen with character generation.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

really the main thing I would like to see is that it is kept (turn based) :D
Jackrabbit
Townie

Post by Jackrabbit »

I've been really considering taking on a hobby of writing a game. And since I love fantasy and real history, I thought it would be cool to set it in a real time and place, but add fantasy stand-bys like magic users and monsters (because magic is just cool and monsters add fun variety). I therefore thought a happy medium would be all humans, but before the art of magic was "lost" (or something).

And yea - turn based for sure. I was trying to figure out why I fell in love with BT again. I think it's because it's so laid back. You can alt-tab out at any time and check your email or eat dinner or whatever. And while they're fun, modern real-time strategies and first-persons can be stressful. Lately I've been playing World In Conflict and BioShock - two GREAT games, but they're also intense. BT-style games are just chill-out and play type experiences, something that doesn't exist anymore unless you're talking about one-person puzzle games.

I also used to play WoW, but one day had complete and total burnout, never to go back. For the tremendous amount of time that game requires, there is extremely little sense of accomplishment. It really starts to feel like a job after a while, especially when you have guild meetings and times you need to be online to join a mission with others, missions that sometimes you've done countless times without any personal benefit. Worse yet, if you screw up or miss a "raid" as they call it, you are negatively affecting the game for many other people, which is kind of stressful and can lead to bad feelings.
You've been fried for 3 damage!
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Hey JR, That'd be awesome if you create a game. The rpg world today is severely lacking in turn based rpg's. There is definitely a need for some new games in the style of the old classics. The great thing about turn based is if you get distracted by real life, the monsters won't take cheap shots at you while your off doing something else. You gotta love that! They wait patiently there for you to return before they begin their onslaught. :D
Have you checked out Gamemaker? I went through it a little. Got through the sample (make your first game) thingy. Seems do-able but might take a while to get used to the game creation setup. A big + to already know some computer programming. If not, then might take a bit longer. But hey, you only live once and there are some rpg's out there that need to be created. :wink:
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

JR, great ideas.. hope you will implement in whatever way--whether writing &/or actual modding. I guess BT & DW are somewhat along the lines you're thinking of..? They are loosely based on ancient locales that I think are real if largely imagined. Skara Brae, etc.

Lots of potential settings/environs related to ancient history.. Phoenician, Babylonian, Egyptian, Grecian (not formula!) , Roman, Sumerian, etc. And could be cool to create a sort of magical realism by limiting the magic &/or monsters.

Love to hear yer ideas! Flesh 'em out here & find hordes of banshees & beserkers to rip 'em back 2 shreds! :wink:

Seriously, you'll likely find a receptive & genuinely helpful audience herein.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Growler wrote:JR, great ideas.. hope you will implement in whatever way--whether writing &/or actual modding. I guess BT & DW are somewhat along the lines you're thinking of..? They are loosely based on ancient locales that I think are real if largely imagined. Skara Brae, etc.

Lots of potential settings/environs related to ancient history.. Phoenician, Babylonian, Egyptian, Grecian (not formula!) , Roman, Sumerian, etc. And could be cool to create a sort of magical realism by limiting the magic &/or monsters.

Love to hear yer ideas! Flesh 'em out here & find hordes of banshees & beserkers to rip 'em back 2 shreds! :wink:

Seriously, you'll likely find a receptive & genuinely helpful audience herein.
"Good idea oh lord." -King Arthur
"Of course its a good idea!" - God
-from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"
:lol:

lots of good factual times there Growler!

+ yes we will rip 'em back 2 shreds!

+ hopefully we are helpful. :shock:

+ I'm definitely looking forward to new classic style rpg's.

+ speaking of new classic style rpg's, check out Paul's JCRPG (Java Classic Role Playing Game) at........

http://javacrpg.sourceforge.net/

It's a work in progress. See the Developers Blog link.
Blkadr
Orker

Post by Blkadr »

I don't think anybody would recognize any of those locals. But of course I didn't know Skara Brae was real when I was six. I learned it in my 20s, which doesn't make the game a very good learning experience.

And about the limiting the magic and/or monsters, I have no idea what you mean.
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

Same here, I wasn't aware of a real life Skara Brae until after I'd gotten a bit older. At which point, my grandfather (who introduced me to gaming) told me about it. He'd been there.

The world needs more turn-based old school dungeon crawlers. If they do something unusual, and get away from the typical fantasy, then that's cool as well.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.