Bard's Tale III

Post any topic here, DW related or not.

Moderator: Admin

dragonbait
Stalker

Bard's Tale III

Post by dragonbait »

Post #39 Bard's Tale III

I have the games on disc for DOS, but I originally played them on an Apple IIe computer. My first experiences with a party and traveling below ground into dungeons where I found monsters galore and equally important artifacts, items, musical instruments and weapons to descend further into the depths of the undergrounds searching for clues to answer the riddles of the ancient magic mouths. A great and classic trilogy that no one has been able to quite match or live up to its expectations. Of course I'm talking about the Bard's Tale Trilogy. I recently found a factory sealed Bard's Tale III (Apple II+, IIe, IIc, IIGS) version on Ebay and I won it. Woohoo!! I'm thinking I might frame it and put it up on my wall for display. I can't think of a better game to frame than this one. An amazing classic dungeon crawl. A CRPG at its best.

Bard's Tale III cover (front)
Bard's Tale III cover (back)
Last edited by dragonbait on Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Wow, what are the chances of finding a factory sealed copy anymore.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

I found a factory-sealed copy of Wizardry Gold on EvilBay, and I bought a sealed copy of Civilization (the original!) at a flea market. Still got both too, but I opened WizGold since at the time I lacked a working DOS version of Wiz7. Now I have one, so it's no longer needed. I may still reinstall it though. Just so it can have an icon next to Wizardry 8.

As far as Bard's Tale goes, I have the manual to 2, the map to 2 and 3, half the manual to 3, the Dragon Wars manual, and the clue book to 3. As well as original disks for 1, 2, and Dragon Wars, all of which no longer work.

Technically, I have more, since I have the NEW Bard's Tale for PC, which includes all three original titles with docs included. My brother's playing that as we speak; and made it halfway through the game in the last two days.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

For the C-64, I have all 3 Bard's Tales as well as the cluebooks for 2&3. But nothing factory sealed. I still play them every now and again, but since it is so slow (I don't know how I managed to play back in the day, it was so slow) I usually use an emulator.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

LOL! I also had the original BT2 box and disks for the C64, back when it came out in '87ish. After a couple of years, I...gasp... threw out the box and maps, back in '92ish. Too bad, could have couriered them to Dragon to be framed :) If only I would have known. Peace.
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

You threw them out? :P I've thrown out plenty of boxes, but never any maps. Those just vanish into my file cabinets, never to be seen again! :P

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

In '92, I got a TI handheld engineering calculator that had more RAM than my C64, and the roommate got a brand new 486 that made the C64 look like a 1962 Jalopy. It was pretty clear that the C64 would never be turned on again, and it wasn't :) :) :)
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

My C64 was in regular use for games up to '95 or '96. Last I played with it was two years ago. The C64 is fine, as is the monitor and everything else. The floppies, however, are pretty well shot.

jy_blaste
War Monger

Post by jy_blaste »

Fabulous! you must keep it in great shape. I'll come over sometime to play Summer Games and Mission Impossible and Hardball :)
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

Actually, the cars have thrown up all over it at least 6 times. It's just indestructible.

And I wouldn't bother coming. Not only do my disks no longer work, the Giant Carnivorous Squirrel will probably eat you before you get through the first hallways.

dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Hey check this out. Cheek.org quoted my blog entry about Bard's Tale III. I've been quoted twice there now. Very Cool! 8)
Bard's Tale III Sparks Memories