Char Stat Creation

Post any topic here, DW related or not.

Moderator: Admin

How to allocate Base Stats for new Characters?

let a series of choices (gender, race, profession..) determine 'em
No votes
allocate base stats Randomly
No votes
both ~ some points assigned by choices, the rest assigned randomly
100%

Total votes: 3

Growler
Necrolord

Char Stat Creation

Post by Growler »

I've been mulling over making a simplified RPGame for a few eons now and can't decide how to allocate Character Base Stats.

'Tis nobler to let a series of choices (gender, race, profession, etc) determine a char's basic stats, or to roll/randomize 'em?

Mebe a Poll is in/outta order :wink:

Also, what range for stats? -leaning towards 1~18

and Which stats?? -leaning towards a simplified base set:
Strength
Speed (includeds all things Dex)
Intelligence
Luck

kinda want 1 more.. but what to add?
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

I would go for a set of base numbers for each type of race but have the dice roll the numbers i.e. a Half-Orc might have a base strength of 6-20 while a Hobbits base strength could be 3-12 etc.

If you are going with the....
Strength
Speed (includeds all things Dex)
Intelligence
Luck

I would suggest adding in Constitution. The higher the constitution the more Hit Points they get at creation point & when leveling up. Just my 2 cents.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I like the idea of low limits for races, sex, etc. and then random numbers added on top of those. It doesn't matter a whole lot I suppose, when you can keep re-rolling until you like the numbers.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Good suggestions.. thanks for the feedback, guys.

Kinda like the notion of ranges for race, etc. Might make them a bit narrower so a Hobbit wouldn't end up potentially significantly stronger than a Half-Orc ;)
If the total range is 1~20, then say, a Half-Orc could roll 12~18 for ST whereas a Hobbit might roll 4~10.

Of course, other aspects/items could potentially make a Hobbit stronger than a Half-Orc..

May should add Constitution as DB suggests, not only for HP but also as a damage modifyer (which HP is indirectly) and resistance to poison, magic, etc.

Part of what I'm hoping for is a simple system whereby the player can really 'feel'/perceive the dif depending on basic char choices, but where's there's also good balance--so it's not too easy to choose/build the ideal char.

Any other thoughts, feedback, fanmail, chainmail appreciated! :D
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

How are you programming the game? in C? Python? Ruby? or with a game making program? Do you plan on making it a one character game? or will it be party based like the DW? I've always prefered the party based system where you can have anywhere from 4 to 8 characters. & what races & classes do you plan on using? 8)
Grodst
Townie

Post by Grodst »

I really like Constitution as your other stat as well.

I once made up a system, use your luck more in rolls, or in the game. e.g.: higher numbers now exchanged for not so great luck later, like all bosses will be harder.....
Gives one pause to choose
Grouchy Old Timer Passes By
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

dragonbait wrote:How are you programming the game? in C? Python? Ruby? or with a game making program? Do you plan on making it a one character game? or will it be party based like the DW? I've always prefered the party based system where you can have anywhere from 4 to 8 characters. & what races & classes do you plan on using? 8)
One sticky point is that I can't program worth a hoot-doodle, so hoping a friend will do it. He seems to think that C may be the way to go--unless we try to do a web-based version--which I kinda lean towards.. prolly java if web-based.

Will go for a solo-playa initially for simplicity, then if that works out--aim for multi-char...perhaps 4~6. Also aiming for a younger audience to be able to play, so simplifying some things accordingly.

Races may include but not limited to:
Human, Elf, Dwarf, Hobbit, Troll/Giant, Gnome, Growler ;), Ent?, Unicorn, possibly some 1/2-breeds such as Half-Elf, Fallen Angel (nice setup for Quest o' Redemption), Catgrrl (4 the dom), ???
Any suggestions?

Class/Professions:
Warrior/Fighter, Rogue, Mage/Wizard, Bartender, Cleric/Healer, Paladin, Bard, Blacksmith, Fed-up Farmer, Seeker, Assassin, Hunter/Ranger, Monk, ???
Suggestions?

Since any early version may have wretchedly limited audio/graphics, I'm gonna try to offer more variety in terms of char-creation & items. Btw, Gender will make a small difference.. if ya choose (M)ale, yer fellow will be a bit stronger, if yer feeling girlie (F)emale, yer lass shall be a tad faster & smarter.

May add Charisma to the stat-mix.. to affect pricing/bartering & other social-subtleties.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Grodst, do ya feel lucky?
Well....do ya? 8)
Grodst
Townie

Post by Grodst »

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Grodst, do ya feel lucky?
Well....do ya? 8)

Of course.........................wait, I , well......
Grouchy Old Timer Passes By