New Olde-Skool, Turn-based RPG in the skunk-Works!

Post any topic here, DW related or not.

Moderator: Admin

Who's up for a bloody-fresh new old-school RPGrinder?

Me (cool, a winner, mighty, suave, all that)
100%
knot me (none of the above--more like opposite of all that)
No votes

Total votes: 7

Growler
Necrolord

New Olde-Skool, Turn-based RPG in the skunk-Works!

Post by Growler »

So.. just when ye thought it safe to venture forth again.. to stick yer ballet dancer's slender goose-neck out again--Wham! (thud)

Down came the thunder-hammers of yore...of yore demise, that is.

That minor detail aside, here we shall thrash out the machinations of a new RPG. It is already in motion--already being programmed & quietly coded in the dim bowels of an ancient volcano.

Thus, this is more than dream, if slightly less than nightmare.
It is...becoming.

Yet even as this foul, readily moddable beast grows, stretches, growls & grimaces--ye may play some vital role in its savage-splendid becoming.. for here we shall hammer-smite, smash-smelt & ponder.. what can an RPG of thee olde school be?

Questions?
Suggestions.
Feedback.

All shall be chewed in the maw of eternal creation.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

I eagerly await. Plus, it will feature Growlers. 8)
KSS
Black Claw

Post by KSS »

Hmm, the poll options seem a tad biased...

Anyway, I'm waiting too... I'll think about suggestions later, my shower is at least a month due.
Drinks, for it bes mine sap.
Eats, for it bes mine fruitsie.
Don't havers toucherings, for it bes mine asses.

Gospel of the Woodsie Lord
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Yeah, Growlers ye kin char-play &/or fight.
Growler v Growler.
Now there's an ultimate cage-fight worth play-per-view..

Speaking of showers--Growlers may be dirty of mind, yeti be naturally dirt-repellent.

Ok, down to the business..

Any favorite RACES ye be needin t'see included?

Got a couple dozen detailed out, but will likely implement only 8~10 -if not fewer--in initial game since thee more exotic Races won't be suited to the opening scenario.

Will have the standard-bearer races:
Human
Elf
Growler
Dwarf
Hobbit
Gnome

..along with a few..less typical ones.

So, now's thee thyme to toss out any ye'd wish to see..

Even if can't implement in 1st game-scenario, may be able to add/integrate for follow-on games.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Hmmmm. My favorite race has got to be Troll. 8)

The brute strength, sack of grain tossing, wisdom lacking, HP regenerating, sun-avoiding, strong-arm. 1 vote for Troll here.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Ya, z troll iz goot!
While z troll may be a oui tad out of place in the opening scenario-game, will likely include it.

As ye suggest, z troll is a super-Tank. Which may be req'd for z party's survival. (assuming PaTrollman dont git over-hongry)

May have to look into his HP-regen.. if can't implement that initially, he's set to get good bonus HP. 8)

Sun-avoiding won't be a problem in z opening scenario.. :twisted:
:shock:
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

If thar be elves, then thar must be orks-gotsa to have puddin
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Was on the fence re orcs orks? -but since ye make sech a puissant case for 'em, may havta includ'em.

Any pref on spellin' of Orc-vs-Ork-puddin? :?
Not that a reel Orcker can spell...

Orck Puddin.. smells like... :shock: Origin?!

:twisted:
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Ok, Orck it is!

Moving right along.. any thoughts regarding the max # of crew members in yer party?

We be leaning to 5~8 slots, most likely 7 being max.

Ye could still attempt to play with a solo fellow. :roll:
Sure he'd last a fool step or tw*CRUNCHRIPSHRED*

How'bout Professions?
Any favs?

Good chance we'll launch with a subset of Professions--more simple, common, rustic, trade-oriented. Then, in future scenarios, these more basic Professions will have option to upgrade to fancier ones, &/or can start off with more variety.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Hmmm. 5 absolute minimum, but 7-8 would be ideal.

For required professions....
A basic minimum of
a.) Fighter
b.) Mage
c.) Thief
d.) & one of either Healer, Shaman, Priest, or Cleric
would be required

But favorite professions? I dig the Summoner, and/or the Illusionist. Either of them could be implemented into a class that has allot of potential to do a great many things.

But I think the Growler knows much of what I like already. What do you other Devil Whiskey Lurkers here have to say/input about Growler's in process RPG? What would you like to see in it?
KSS
Black Claw

Post by KSS »

I personally like an Assassin with blood magic abilities... and a tree-man with nature magic and ensnaring skills (that would be both a race and profession).

Although from what you said my tree-man wouldn't fit in your 1st scenario.

Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Dragon,
Agree that 7~8 is ideal.. most likely going with 7 for intangible reasons beyond the luck-factor. Hopefully, that accommodates those desiring solo or small, up to rather large--without getting too cumbersome.

And yes--those are perfect base/min professions.. may incl 2~3 of the Healer/Cleric class.

Will also offer several 'trades' professions: Blacksmith, Peddler, Stone-Mason, etc. Trying to make each of those compelling for various reasons, for ex: the StoneMason will do extra damage with a Lump Hammer. 8)

In process of deciding whether to include the more advanced magic classes/professions such as Summoner--or Illusionist (nice add, hadn't thought about that'un). Not sure they'll fit the opening scenario, so if not--then def later!

~~~

KSS, had an Assassin, but was thinking of postponing him for next release--but since you mention him--will work'im back in.

What's your concept for 'blood magic' abilities? If not too technically difficult, will try to implement. Currently, the Assassin has a sort of critical-hit/lethal-kill skill.

By 'tree-man' do you mean something akin to Tolkien's Ent?

If so, then I've got that detailed in my super-set of potential Races, etc, but don't think it would work in this first game. That said, looking forward to it in future scenarios! -and since you mentioned 'ensnaring' skill, reminds me to implement Race-based skills.. that's a good one! And maybe some 'nature magic' as well eventually.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Any hints on what will happen in the opening scenario?

+ regarding Ents/tree-men, that's a super idea. IIRC, the Devil Whiskey had (Darcwood Trees). Would make a nice player-character, or even if not in the first scenario, perhaps it could be worked into version 1 as a monster class that could attack the party. Ensnare, Shamble Mounds, Engulf, Summon Vegepygmy, Ent Communal Thought, so many ideas for spells of an Ent. Perhaps for Scenario 2.

Got to love the Shambling Mounds.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Yeah, those Darcwood Trees just outside town were creepy-cool. (seems they only 'came out' at night?)
So maybe can implement, as ye suggest, some sort of monster-class ver at least.. some Shambling Mounds might make for some gruesome brutish fun.

Ah, as for any first-game scenario hints.. hmm..
Can't divulge much--since part of the plan is fur yer crew to awaken with(in) mystery.. but can offer a broad stroke or too--a glancing blow, as it were.

Practically, we need to make the 1st release/scenario relatively simple--due to very limited resources and desire to aim for more quality than quantity, and to hopefully make it virtually bug-free. Hence, it may be more of a Proving Grounds scenario, with minimal story-development & emphasis on rustic (not fancy) folk engaging in lots of bare-knuckle combat.. trying to work their way perhaps...out..through..a bad situation.

So, simple folk using basic weapons, limited armor, limited spells--struggling to survive and get home..if there's a...
may be a bit of a grinder--but not too big and will set the stage for much broader scenarios coming later as we develop skills, resources, audience, and such.

Trying to establish proof-of-concept here, incl a platform for others to create their own wicked mods. :twisted: 8) :twisted:
KSS
Black Claw

Post by KSS »

Hmmm, that opening scenario remind me of the 1st map in Dragon Wars (was it Purgatory ?).

As for ents, errr, I don't see what you're talking about... Who is that Tolkien by the way ?

Blood magic: I don't have precise ideas for now; perhaps bleeding, life stealing...
(which would make my assassin akin to a vampire; or a vampiress... clad in black leather... and chains... and fishnet stockings... err, let's get back to the point); You might have a look at Dawn of Magic's blood magic tree (Since I played it recently, I'm pretty sure it's what gave me this idea).