GAME SUGGESTIONS

Post any topic here, DW related or not.

Moderator: Admin

Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

Yeah, thanks for the confirmation. I was 99% sure of it, but as said; I always cover all grounds I can.

It's not a matter of burning ISOs, it's more a matter of having time to do so. I probably will this weekend though. I've gotten Shrike (redhat 9 IIRC, or maybe 8) downloaded, as that's been the most recommended distribution. I couldn't find linspire, which I was told was built to be as similar as possible to WinXP.

I haven't used a file sharing program in two computers. Since my last one lasted 4 years or so, it's been a long while. All my mp3s come from ripped CDs.

I've thought of running dual OS's, but I really don't have the HDD capacity. Only 80 GB. Of course, on occasion I've thought of running about 4 GB or maybe less for DOS only; but I'd have to located drivers for some very modern cards to do that... or write them myself.

Thanks again.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Knoppix is amazing! (even based on an older ver)
Can anyone imagine M$ doing that with Win95 line or NT/XP line??

A buddy who's good with Unix & has played with 1/2 doz Linux distros over the years seems to like SuSe's distro best overall.. But sounds like each distro has its strong point/s: tightest security, EZ install, smallest footprint, peripheral support, etc.

Dom, whya want/need to partition for DOS?
..compat w/ old games, perhaps?
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

The answer to that is "Because I can".

I have boxes of parts to computers ranging from the Commodore 64 to a 500 mhz PII. Why? Because I can.

I bought a 440 magnum once without having a car to put it in. Why? Because I can.

Since I have every DOS game I own save those that are on 5 1/4 floppys installed on this comp, I was figuring on not needing DOSBox. But that can wait until after I bother to go buy a 300 gig HDD.

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

Doom speaks!

I figured out what was wrong. Yahoo games installed the ActiveX controls which allowed the trojan hordes to enter my comp. They actually did it through Firefox; not IE. McAfee along with a few other programs finally singled out the downloader trojan and blocked it's access; and a quick bout of stabbity death finished the rest off for good. A fresh install of Firefox; as it gave a parting shot of disabling my Firefox browser; and I'm good to go for another 4 years or 4000 dead people. Which ever comes first.

Next time my dad sees a big fraggin' horse presented as a gift; I'm going to shoot it with flaming arrows and summon a horde of fire elementals to roast the bloody thing alive.

Jerran
Townie

Re: GAME SUGGESTIONS

Post by Jerran »

One thing that's been irking me about DW (demo version), has been that putting the thieves in the 5th rank pretty much ties up a slot that could be used for something more useful, as it were, such as a Bard or a spellcaster. Near's I can tell, all the thief is good for is picking locks. Yet in BT 2 & 3, and in the few D&D comp games I've played, the thief, once hidden in the shadows, advances 10' and can attack anything in range from there, hide again (thus advancing another 10'), etc. And in the 2nd Edition AD&D campaignes I've played (via tabletop rather than comp), the thief can backstab from the shadows.

I'd like to see the ability to attack from the shadows added to the thief's repertoire.

-- J --

"Only two things are infinite -- the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe."

Albert Einstein
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Well, before Origen makes a crack re: RTFM (should be included in the demo--look for a .pdf file called 'DWManual' in the main game folder), I'll take a stab at ya :P ..your roguish concern, that is..

On 2nd thought...just check the manual for Rogue info. You'll find perhaps even a deathblow* in his shadows.. :wink:

*tho you'll need a higher level for db than allowed in the demo
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

RTFM :D
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Jerran
Townie

Post by Jerran »

Growler wrote:Well, before Origen makes a crack re: RTFM (should be included in the demo--look for a .pdf file called 'DWManual' in the main game folder), I'll take a stab at ya :P ..your roguish concern, that is..

On 2nd thought...just check the manual for Rogue info. You'll find perhaps even a deathblow* in his shadows.. :wink:

*tho you'll need a higher level for db than allowed in the demo
Well, that would certainly 'splain why the rogue in the demo is virtually useless -- the demo simply doesn't get the rogue big enough. So my suggestion still stands: why not include a backstab for the lower levels? It needn't be an immediately killing blow, but since tho opponent is facing away from his/her/its attacker, the blow can't be blocked, parried, or dodged, thus making for a 100% hit probability, unless the rogue's dex is so low as to make him/her/it dangerously clumsy -- which can't happen by the very nature of the caracter creation interface.
"Only two things are infinite -- the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe."

Albert Einstein
Gagorr
Orker

Post by Gagorr »

Off-topic but why is Growler's portrait almost always just a white square? :?:
uwaaaargh!
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Huh?

It looks like a Growler to me.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Eh? :? :( :o :shock:

Sooo, the PTB (Powers That Be) are disallowing the fool glory that is Growler to shine constantly & consistently!?! Pfff..

(seriously, someone may be periodically subbin' my cousin's pic--the Abominable Snowyman, aka, Growler de Puree)
Gagorr
Orker

Post by Gagorr »

it still is a white square with an x. Origen's is a demonlod, mine's an orc. What is growler's picture then?
uwaaaargh!
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Lets make this a game. You can ask as many Yes/No questions about his picture that you want, and we can only answer Yes or No, and can give no more elaboration. If you guess it, you earn 1 kiss from the G-man himself. :roll:

Okay, so that prize sucks, but you will get the satisfaction of wasting your time when you could be doing something useful. :D
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

'sucks' ? .. cute, O-man.

Actually, sounds like a fun game. but the G-man doesn't kiss'n'tale, so sorry foks--must rule that out, prizewize.

The issue with me pictograff may be related to me using my own pic that I've uploaded to the forum--whereass you guys are all using pre-fab pics.

Ok, Gagorr--what's yer 1st yea/nay question (of 200 ~ we are playing 200 ?'s, right?)?
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Some kind of underwater creature?