GAME SUGGESTIONS

Post any topic here, DW related or not.

Moderator: Admin

Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Ok, back to topic of suggestions:

1-make the days last longer -- time flies by Way too fast (at least during the day :o)

2-make any & all exits from any menu/situation the 'ESC' key (or always the 'space-bar' -no not the Star Wars Space Bar!) ~ too confusing & slows game-pacing to constantly switch 'exit' keys mebe cuz I'm always hitting the wrong one :|

3-dangit...forgot already...something to do with memory??

4-like in the old Wizardry series, wish at least one of a char's attributes (as in, ST/DX/CN/IQ/etc) would increase with each level-up (pref. with some regard for their Race & Profession) :P
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Olias
Nomad

Post by Olias »

I believe the new patch has the following new features, but user beware... it is a beta and may have some bugs:

1 - Most exits seem to use "escape" or maybe my memory is bad.

2 - Character text color alerts for level ups have been added.

3 - Monsters have distance attacks and use more options in combat AI.

Audio can be fixed I imagine.
Overlaying pics would require adjusting the individual lighting in every pic to be neutral. each pic would have to have an alpha made and there are a bunch of monster pics. Could be done but it would be a legnthy project and with the other tasks who knows. But it's possible and with enough help, can be done.
ShadoKnight
Nomad

Post by ShadoKnight »

Incidentally, we thought about the picture-overlay thing when we were designing the game. We decided against it for two reasons:

1) It would be a lot of work, but mostly...
2) It would put to shame a lot of the best artwork.

In order for overlay of monster on scene to work, the monster art itself has to be pretty bare - just the monster, in neutral lighting, with no ambiance. Otherwise, you can't use it in different settings (inside/outside/day/night/etc.) without having it look really corny. Most of the best monster graphics in the game are really nice full-frame images, and we didn't want to lose that.

SK
The Wombat
War Monger

Post by The Wombat »

How about a neutral scene and neutral monster pics, then apply a programmable lighting / shading to the combined scene?
"What kind of person WRITES a maniacal laugh?" -- Maskerade.
HGamer
War Monger

Post by HGamer »

I propose that the encounter location and monster(s) be described in text, and the player can imagine what they look like. :wink:

My third mod will feature a book of numbered paragraphs that will be chained to a Lincoln Navigator SUV, as a form of copy protection. The game will provide numbers for you to look up in the book and read those paragraphs as the situation warrants. That will save considerable disk space and download bandwidth. Don't try reading paragraphs that you weren't told to, or you'll be sued for illegal reverse engineering! :twisted:
1 point 21 jigawatts!
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

So you can be sued for using an inconvienient system that was in use around 2 decades ago or so? Or have you forgotten the Gold Box games, Dragon wars, and a number of others?

How about some variation of "Rocks Fall; you die" in here? Give the wrong answer for a puzzle; Rocks fall, you die.

I ought to do that myself. Whenever the devs put the toolkit up again I guess.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

That is kind of like the real-time puzzle snares in BT2. I still have no idea how I am going to do that one in the mod, but in the original game, if you took too long, or in some cases, did the wrong thing, it meant instant death.

That was a pretty cool feature. Unless you dies because of it, then it really sucked. Especially if you haven't saved for a while.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

I had forgotten all about those. I don't think I ever died doing one either; but it's been a while.

I am going to ask something here of the Devs. Do y'all package ANYTHING with DW? Particularly a nastly little trojan set called ABI Network? I've spent the better part of my day working to rid my computer of around a half dozen trojans, plus the adware program itsself. While I know y'all didn't have anything like that before, and I'm 99% positive that it was Yahoo's distribution of it; as my dad listened to a Yahoo streaming pile of ork pudding radio last night; I want to make sure. Check your comps! DW may not have caused it, but something sure did.

Linux users, any problems running the game? This is causing me to hurry up and swap completely to Linux. I was going to run a Win XP machine and a Linux machine, but with things going as they are, it may soon be Linux only.

San Angelo... What do you know? Now tell me do you have something to say? Don't get me wrong, I miss my home, and it feels like I'm a million miles away.
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Dom, go Linux! (I haven't yet, but looking forward to it soon)
Which distro ya using?

For combattling(tm) adware, spyware, malware, hi-jackers, trojans & such, here's 3 programs that I've used for a long time & they each get consistently good reviews from various pooter mags & sites:

SpyBot: Search & Destroy (my fav for the variety of tools it offers--Free)
http://spybot.safer-networking.de/

Ad-Aware SE (free)
http://www.lavasoft.de/

SpySweeper (free to try w/ limited updates)
http://webroot.com/
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

There's also C(rap)Cleaner, and Ewido Security Suite. Plus a file specifically made for killing the ABI/Yahoo spyware program. Nothing has worked. It's installed in c:\WINDOWS, and was d/led through the incompetence of Internet Explorer's developers, as well as the incompetence of the WinXP Firewall's developers. I already have Spybot, and Ad-aware, both update daily and scan daily. I also use AVG, which updates once a day at the least. Sometimes It updates 2 or 3 times a day. I am going Linux; Shrike to be specific. I just haven't downloaded disc 2 and 3 yet, or a program to convert ISOs to CD. Or the Win emulator or any other program I want to get prior to switching.

I ask again, Does SSS allow this crap to be d/led with Devil Whiskey? I don't belive so, but I am going to cover the only other route first, before I file a complaint with the FBI. And start loading the old .44 Desert Eagle up for bear and Growlers.

There has been two things downloaded in the last month. Devil Whiskey 2.01a (full game and patch) and an app from Yahoo to run streaming radio. That should tell you enough to summarize where I got it.

Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Until the admins offer feedback..

You prolly realize it's also possible for a hi-jacker type prog to facilitate d/l's in the background, so it may not be due to either DW d/l or Yahoo--but between those two, I'd lean strongly towards the music app d/l...those are common sources of viruses, adware, etc. Whereas wouldn't be efficient to target DW unless there's thousands of d/l's a day (which I kinda doubt).

Def wouldn't rely on Windows firewall--oy. Like a fox guarding the hen-house if ya ax me. Try the excellent, top-rated & free ver of ZoneAlarm's firewall.. It's better than Norton's & Norton makes excellent A/V & even decent firewalls. Heard pretty good things about AVG, tho' haven't done much with it.

If you haven't tried already, set SpyBot & Ad-Aware to run on next boot-up so that ABI can't preload & get its hooks in first..

Also, can use SpyBot (just makes it easier & offers feedback on some items) to check out the startup list & disable anything suspicious..
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

You've almost listed the contents of my hard drive. Except I also have Masters of Magic and Age of Wonders installed, so bleah!

Ad Aware, AVG, Spybot, and Doombot (oops, wrong app) run automatically at bootup. And they update at boot up if there's something avaliable. The problem stems from the ABI prog not activation until I have an active internet connection to something. So running in safe mode/without a internet connection means that it lies dormant. I've also tracked down and manually deleted a number of files - dangerous to do in Windows; especially when their .dlls such as zifoakfjg.dll and svcproc.dll. I've already abandoned IE, but Mozilla affects it the same.

Thankfully, I don't put anything in that could be used to steal my identity. I buy everything with cash, so I have no credit, and I won't get ripped off by getting a credit card. So whoever it is only has my address. Not a safe thing to try and get at, as I'm an excellent shot with the .308. I never have needed sights, much less a scope. And since the land is in my grandfather's name, they would find a hard time trying to steal that. Hell, my name is different than whet I use online. I'm sure the more intelligent of y'all could figure out my heritage by examining the user name I adopt.

Whatever, I'm going to Linux. I just have to get enough free time off from working two full time jobs to d/l and burn a copy; as well as what ever else I want to pick up prior to switching.

ShadoKnight
Nomad

Post by ShadoKnight »

None of the distributions up to and including 2.0 had any kind of ad-ware, spy-ware, or anything other than DW. Included with DW were the DLL's for several LGPL libraries, including SDL, SDL_image, SDL_mixer, and SMPEG. These were all complied from source, by the SSS folks at the time, so I know they're clean, too. I haven't been officially involved with SSS for a while now, but I can pretty much guarantee that nothing came with DW but DW.

SK
Domhnall4h
Gnomicron

Post by Domhnall4h »

I could to, but I always cover my bases with the blood of a thousand victims just to make sure. Thanks.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Dom

We have never packaged third party malwares with our game. Never have and never will.

Linux - Many distros offer ISO you can download and I believe Windows has several ways to make burn the ISO to disc. If it doesn't, I KNOW Nero Burning Utils does this for you easily. Knoppix and Mepis also offer "LIVE" discs which means you can load the CD, Boot up and TEST run their flavor of Linux before installing it.

Here's what I like to do:
  • Dual Boot Machine for Win and Lin

Use Linux for most web stuff and email and some work.

Use Windows disconnected for some work and for running Windows programs (obviously)

I have Wine and Win4Lin, but I don't use them that much.

JIC - Stop anyone from using your machine to download/pirate music and software. Kazaa and all of those file sharing buggers have opened up a Pandora's Box of malicious wares.