Forge of Legends

Post any topic here, DW related or not.

Moderator: Admin

dragonbait
Stalker

Forge of Legends

Post by dragonbait »

This looks like a nice new DW-like game currently in development.

Forge of Legends
http://empireforge.com/fol/index.html
EmpireForge
Townie

Post by EmpireForge »

Howdy -- Forge of Legends developer here.
I have been trying to get a handle on traffic to the Forge of Legends site, and have been using google analytics. I saw a referral from "devilwhiskey" and was curious enough to check out the site.

You've got a great game here, and I loved the Bard's Tale series! And, the art is completely wonderful! Must have cost a fortune?

At any rate, my thanks for your mention, and I'll be taking a closer look at your game.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Hi, & Welcome to the Devil Whiskey forums! You will find that these forums are mostly quiet save for a small group of dedicated players of the game (myself included).

I found your game through the RPG Watch forums. It looks super cool and very in tune with ye olde crpg games of the past.

I would be interested in beta testing your game when it is ready. I'm sure there are others lurking these forums that would also be interested in testing your game as well.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Count me in!
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
EmpireForge
Townie

Post by EmpireForge »

Great to hear :)
Anyone who would like to participate in the beta can go to this contact link and sign up -- be sure to include "I'd like to beta test" in the message:
http://empireforge.com/cgi-bin/contact/contact.pl

I will then add you to my (rather short) list and keep you updated on the game's progress!
KSS
Black Claw

Post by KSS »

Me too, me too !
Drinks, for it bes mine sap.
Eats, for it bes mine fruitsie.
Don't havers toucherings, for it bes mine asses.

Gospel of the Woodsie Lord
EmpireForge
Townie

Post by EmpireForge »

I got quite a few signups for Beta from amongst the Devil Whiskey players, which is great (note: if you wanted in but didn't sign up via the website, please do so).

This made me think that I should do something special for you guys. I was thinking of adding a new class or maybe race into the game, one that you all suggest. But, what do you think? I don't have a ton of bandwidth for adding new features, but I will listen to your thoughts.

For reference on what races/classes are already in the game, you can view the main site (also note: there are subraces, too).

Thanks again guys, and look forward to hearing from you.

Incidentally, about the beta -- it will be some time in 2013, I suspect later in the year. So, patience will be in order ;)
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

Wow, thats super cool. 8)

Here are some data from your website in regards to races + classes.
RACES:

Human
Humans are the most adaptable of the races. Ever willing to explore, fight, build, and seize opportunity. Unlike the other races, humans do not select a racial sub-type. Rather, they benefit from a bonus to experience gained, allowing human characters to level faster than any others.

Elf
An ancient race, elves can be found in every corner of the world. Elves can serve many roles in an adventuring group, and there are many sorts of elves. Players can select from among several elf types for their characters: Wood elf, Dark elf, or High elf. Each type has its own set of strengths and weaknesses.

Dwarf
A race nearly as ancient as the Elves, dwarves are hardy inhabitants of mountains and mines. They are stalwart and tough, though not all dwarves choose the same path through life. Players can select from among several dwarf types for their characters: Defender, Builder, or Rager. Each type has its own set of strengths and weaknesses.

Gnome
Gnomes are small, whimsical, and often touched by magic. While some live only to find mischief, others lead the lives of scholars. Players can select from among two gnome types for their characters: Ancient or Mercurial. Each type has its own set of strengths and weaknesses.

Faerie
Faerie are magical beings, much less common than the other races. Slight of frame and often shy, many Faerie do not consort with other races at all. A few types are available for players to select for characters: Faerie of the Leaf, Faerie of the Flame, or Faerie of Twilight.

Jotunn
Jotunn, or "the giant ones", come from unknown origins. Some say they were once men, but little of their past is known for sure. What is known is that they are strong -- brutally so. Standing from 7 to 9 feet tall, they tower over the other races. They tend to be simple-minded, though, often tossing aside wisdom for the sake of a lust for battle. Two kinds of Jotunn are known: Juggernaut or Thrall
CLASSES:

Soldier
Skilled in the ways of arms and armor, this adventurer is always on the front lines in any fight. A Soldier has access to all weapon and armor skills, and advances in level quicker than more specialized classes like Paladin and Reaver. Though some would call them simple, soldiers can be the backbone of any group of adventurers.

Paladin
In addition to being a master of arms and armor, a Paladin follows a code of honor. He fights for good and justice, defending the innocent and punishing evil. A Paladin's skills grow more slowly than an average soldier, but he is also able to manifest certain gifts of the light as he gains level. These gifts tend to be protective and restorative, with a few exceptions.

Reaver
A Reaver is a warrior with a lust for battle and blood. His training focuses more on how to inflict wounds and is less concerned with defense. A Reaver believes that the shortest route to safety is by slaying your enemy! As such, Reavers tend to favor skills like critical strike or two-weapon fighting. A Reaver full of bloodlust can be intimidating to friend and foe alike!

Archer
An Archer has honed his skill with ranged weaponry above all else. Although some have a basic ability with light blades, all excel with bows, crossbows, and sometimes other ranged weapons like slings. Their specialties require that they remain more flexible and limber, and as such can use only lighter forms of armor. Their ability to cause harm from a distance more than makes up for this, of course!

Rogue
The rogue has a variety of useful skills, even though he is unlikely to be a good choice for going toe-to-toe with a large monster. He can find and disarm traps, open locks, and even identify unusual magic items. When not sallying forth with a party into the dungeon, he is also a skilled gambler, haggler, and... entrepreneur.

Aether Mage
Aether Mages are individuals who have never felt truly connected to the material world. As their lives and minds move them ever further along unseen paths, they become aware of an innate ability to briefly leave the material plane. As their skill at these short journeys increases, they are able to draw forces, objects, and even living entities from this other plane of existence -- the Aether. Aether Mages have a unique collection of abilities, allowing them to manifest powerful Aether energies, manipulate matter, travel in ways that violate principles of physics, and call other-wordly allies. Each use of one of these abilities requires a portion of the Aether Mage's concentration. As such, players should watch the concentration stat carefully with these characters, and take steps to maximize it. Aether Mages can only wear cloth armor and carry the lightest of burdens.

Wizard
A wizard is a scholar who has studied magic extensively. There are none who possess more knowledge about the workings of magic than wizards. Though physically frail, they can cast powerful spells of many varieties. They are able to invoke these spells a certain number of times per day, increasing their abilities to learn new spells and cast them more often as they level.

Sorcerer
Sorcerers are those who have discovered a magic within themselves. They tend to have a talent with particular kinds of magic, favoring one kind of magic expression over others. They have a pool of magical energy which they can expend as they see fit, with more powerful magic spells requiring more from this pool. Both their magic pool and the kinds of magic they can create increase with level.

Avatars live to bring peace to the world. They are skilled at healing and improving the abilities of those around them, and when facing the forces of darkness, they can also unleash righteous fury. Like wizards, they can manifest magic spells a certain number of times per day. However, their power stems from their devotion to goodness and light rather than arcane knowledge.

Wildheart
As champions of nature, Wildhearts can channel its primal force in many unique ways. By drawing from a pool of this natural force, they can enhance characters, cleanse poison and disease, and even call allies to aid them. Though not as proficient in mending wounds as an Avatar, their other abilities can be equally as useful.

Shade
While not necessarily evil, a Shade is one who has embraced shadow. Shades are skilled at causing harm with magic, but their natures make them immune to the magic wielded by Avatars. This could leave them vulnerable to taking too many wounds, though they can draw life from enemies to replenish themselves. Their ability to tap into the power of shadow is replenished when they rest in darkness, or when they slay an enemy. Additionally, they can meld into shadows and dark places -- an ability that can prove useful in avoiding notice or protecting themselves.
The aether mage sounds pretty interesting. It seems a sort of an Illusionist/Summoner type of mage. I suppose you meant to say he can call other-worldly allies rather than
call other-wordly allies.
Or unless you meant he could summon the old battle axe mother-in-law to nag and complain you to death. That could be a painful spell to inflict upon your enemies.
:lol:

But seriously, perhaps a Monk class? Master of hand to hand combat, whose AC lowers the further they advance in levels, and excels in combat with fists+feet attacks rather than weapon skills and has more speed and usefullness when treading lightly i.e. wearing robes or light armor instead of heavier armor like the old Bard's Tale Monk?

Other than that, I'd have to think about what other races or classes you might have use for. Anyone else wanna chime in?
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

You have to have a halfling breed for thieving. hehehe
EmpireForge
Townie

Post by EmpireForge »

Hehe, awesome catch on that typo -- let me go fix that.

Monk, I had not thought of. There is some potential there. I could indeed add a class like the one you describe. Any thoughts on magic/supernatural abilities for him, as well? Maybe something like sensing the presence of monsters through walls, etc.?

There is also potential with the halfling breed, of course, but I tend not to favor that race because it is seldom good for anything except thief/rogue :p
I targeted the "Mercurial" subrace of Gnome to be the clever little dextrous trixter type. I will listen to thoughts on this, though.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I always preferred the halfling for thieves, but a gnome will do in a pinch. Any thoughts to mixed classes?
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

I agree that Halflings, make the best thieves. Gnomes are good at thieving also. You could try deviating from the normal Halfling thief stereotype by creating some special classes specific to Halflings only. Like perhaps an Acrobat class, or Ninja, or Herbalist, or Shaman.

Most of the best olympic gymnasts have all been petite in size so I guess that is only natural. I have an AD+D Thieves Handbook somewhere in my house which goes further into the Acrobat but I can't seem to find it now. Halflings being quick with reflexes in general would make good Ninjas. Halflings also seem to be much in tune with nature so finding medicine in nature in order to cook up special brews and healing medicines could be useful when in a dungeon and your spellcasters are out of spells and you are out of potions. Have the halfling Herbalist heal and bandage your party. Or a Shaman that uses voodoo dolls to inflict pain or blow blinding dust into an enemies eyes. Or even weapons that only the Halfling can use etc.
EmpireForge
Townie

Post by EmpireForge »

Mixed classes / multiclassing -- most likely not in the works. I've never been a fan of this mechanic, in fact, but it would be pretty devilish to code at this point as well. I simply haven't laid any groundwork for a PC to have more than one class. :p

Interesting thoughts on the halfling -- I think they don't get enough love from game designers in general, heh. If I were to include them, I think it would make sense to have two subraces for them, such as the natural-nature type you describe, and then the trickster, thievy type.

At this point, though, I think I favor the (unrelated) Monk class idea the most. Other opinions on any of this?

I might make a separate post for the Monk class, if not, in which we could solicit more details for the idea.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

If you are thinking of going the Monk route, then there could be allot of possible variations from your typical monk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4q6eaLn2mY

Firstly (and I am just throwing ideas off of my head, so take them for what you will), you could divy the class up by male/female.

Male could = Monk
Female could =Nun

You could have each have different skillsets.

Monks using more physical unarmed combat with special skills like a flying kick or karate kid style kick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nle_WV_UY5E

Nuns could use more chanting and spellcasting or at least having an aura of The Penguin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujxDA9VsQG4

Perhaps Nun's could have more spells while Monks would be prone to do more arse kicking.

There could be much variation in "chants"

Chants to pull power from the gods to give power to the mortals like giving special strengths or power in battle.

Chants to use God's power to heal or to inflict pain, depending on who your god is.

Chants to use God's (whether good, neutral, or evil) power to either raise dead party members, resurrect guardians to protect good or evil interests, or control/command undead or perform other un-worldly acts.
EmpireForge
Townie

Post by EmpireForge »

Hey, just a quick update to let you know I haven't forgotten about this! Been working overtime (and coding the game).

I will post in a new thread hopefully this week.