Forge of Legends -- Monk class

Post any topic here, DW related or not.

Moderator: Admin

EmpireForge
Townie

Forge of Legends -- Monk class

Post by EmpireForge »

Hello everyone,
As discussed on a previous thread, I got quite a few signups for beta-testing from the Devil Whiskey community, and thus wanted to create a class in the new game which you guys help create.

I had never considered a Monk class before, but you guys came up with some good ideas for it! So, I'd like to post about this a bit more.

First, let me present what a current class in Forge of Legends looks like, for an example. Note that the classes have all been updated and can be viewed at http://empireforge.com/fol/feature_classes.html.

Here is what the "Shade" class looks like (as an example):

While not necessarily evil, a Shade is one who has embraced shadow. Shades are skilled at causing harm with magic, but their natures make them immune to the benefits of magic wielded by Avatars. This could leave them vulnerable to taking too many wounds, though they can draw life from enemies to replenish themselves. Their ability to tap into the power of shadow is replenished when they rest in darkness, or when they slay an enemy. Additionally, they can meld into shadows and dark places -- an ability that can prove useful in avoiding notice or protecting themselves. Avatars and Shades can coexist in a party together, but don't expect either to be happy about it.

[ Hit Points per level : 5 ]
[ Skill Points per level : 3 ]

[ RESISTANCE MODIFIERS ]
Shadow: +10

[ CLASS SKILLS ]
Dagger, Sword, Bow / Crossbow, Staff,
Hammer / Mace / Flail, Simple Ranged, Spear / Javelin,
Critical Strike, Dual Wield, Dodge,
Lore, Meditation, Spell Mastery,
Dark Resonance, Malignance

[ SPECIAL ]
Immune to Avatar Benefits
No Heavy Armor

So, that's the shade. You can see it has skills, resistance mods, and some special abilities. And of course, a description. What I need to be able to use the Monk class idea is to define some of these things.

Description: Open to input here.
Skills: probably a reduced set of weapon skills, but will include staves and polearms, and perhaps bows. Unique Monk skill ideas: way of the stone (make body resistant to damage), way of the snake (speed enhancements), others?

Specials: chants (not sure, but liked the idea someone posted about chants), starts with a flask of "Devil Whiskey" which will be a simple magic drink. Restricted armor.

Open to inputs and discussion!

Also, those of you who signed up on the Forge of Legends site will be hearing from me via email soon, as I have a little news as well.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Here are a few. I am sure others will chime in, and give you a nice selection to choose from.

Description: Open to input here. Harnesser of Mind over body, similar to Psi-Knights in mental control, but not bound by their physical limitations.
Skills: probably a reduced set of weapon skills, but will include staves and polearms, and perhaps bows. Unique Monk skill ideas: way of the stone (make body resistant to damage), way of the snake (speed enhancements), others? Pressure Point Strike-goes up in accuracy and damage with level increase, i.e. paralysis, unconscious state, kill strike, etc.

Specials: chants (not sure, but liked the idea someone posted about chants) Hyperfocus chant-slows surroundings, allowing him to pick target to strike-1X per day, starts with a flask of "Devil Whiskey" which will be a simple magic drink. Restricted armor.
[/quote]
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

As mentioned in other thread, any Monk worth his NaCl should improve his A.C. by -1 (assuming Armor Class improves by going down) every level or 2 -- or 3 -- if he's a slow-poke Monk.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor