chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Sounds entertaining. Keep us posted.
Bring on the Dancing Horses!
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

Looks like the Beta is now available for the backers! Haven’t tried it yet (downloading now), but even after all of the updates I don’t know if I ever believed it was really going to happen. Fingers crossed!
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I am a beta tester as well, but haven't received my Steam key email yet. Post updates Origen.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

So I have only played for a little while. Haven't even created any characters yet. I stuck with the default bard who started off in the game. I will say I am not hooked yet, but it is not a bad thing. There is a lot of tutorial stuff, and I have only had a few fights and I am still figuring them out. Also, there is a lot more mouse use than I would prefer. As an old school keyboard gamer, I haven't figured out how to make my selections by pressing a single key, instead having to do a lot of scrolling with the arrow keys or use the mouse. The mouse is used a lot with moving as well. So it is a little cumbersome at the moment. And the game runs is a lot slower running than it should be considering what it is. My machine has no issues running the latest games with ease, but this game seems to use a lot of processing time at some points. So I know there is a lot of complaining in this post, but don't take it as such. Just wanted to share the initial thoughts. I am about to go continue my adventure for a bit, plus I know it is still a Beta so some of these things may be rectified.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Good feedback. I got my key today, and hope to try this weekend.
origen
Dark Sidhe Lord

Post by origen »

I hate to say this, but I really don't like this game. It is so cumbersome and awkward, it really takes away from the positives. Want to buy something, well be prepared to have to click Continue 2 or 3 times first, despite the fact that the only thing this person dopes is buy/sell things. Combat, definitely no A-A-A-H-D-D or anything like that. Expect to spend a few minutes clicking on an awkward interface just to perform one attack. Every time your character does something, they are saying something stupid and repetitive (since it happens all the time), and the enemies do the same thing. I really wanted to enjoy this, but so far that is not happening. Anyone else try it? I would be interested to hear other opinions.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Interesting. I agree with the purchasing aspects in the game. You also can't view your character while in those "shops". I have grown fond of the game though. I am getting more immersed, and the puzzles take me back to BT. The combat is awkward at first, but have come to enjoy the nuances of it.
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

finally got my password reset to my devilwhiskey forums account. :P

I was kind of unimpressed with the style of the new BT4 so I haven't bought it yet. Maybe I will at some point. I'm not sure. :?:

But I did just pick up the new Bard's Tale Trilogy remaster from GOG.

I thought it would be the entire trilogy but for now it is only BT1.

BT2 will be released later September?

and BT3 will be released by December.

Pretty sure I'll be able to log in to my GOG account after the remaining 2 are released to download those also without paying further, I hope.

A few months back I was kind of upset that Oldskuul / Burger Becky was no longer doing the remasters and that some other company was going forward with it as the new company's art style of the player characters and the monsters was a bit too cartoony for my tastes, and it still is a bit. But I have to say that the artwork of the city of Skara Brae and the buildings contained therein are fantastically done.

I haven't really gotten into the game yet as I just downloaded it today but have created characters. (FYI you can now have female characters in BT1 instead of all male characters).

Here are some images.....

Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Appreciate the feedback on these games, fellas!
Gotta say I'm not a fan of using a mouse to play games--well, other than Solitaire & un er dos that shall knot bee named!

Gimme good old-fashioned Keyboard control..with 4 separate arrow keys, inverted T, thanks.

Those screenshots look pretty great Dragonbait!
Cool..thanks for posting. may havta carve out some time to play.. 8)

Hard to believe DW seems dead on the vine.. :cry:
Why buy something you don't plan to support?
Or if you bought it & then realized you didn't have time/interest to support it, why not sell it?? (I even tried, but the guy wasn't interested in discussing) Makes no sense..unless....there's something..nefarious!? :shock:
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

I was going through some old emails, deleting unnecessary files and such and I came across some text that I had written some ages ago re: Xoram's Tower and the Orb. Thought I would post it here for kicks.
As you enter, you see a strange mystical magical energy emanating from the wall on the far side of the room. Before the glowing portal stands a small Beggan. He has an assortment of weapons and strange looking objects scattered across the floor and a backpack that he's stuffing with food, a water canteen and other objects. He quickly glances over at the party, then continues packing, barely giving you any notice at all. He takes a short sword and sheathes it into its scabbard, attaches it to his belt and looks up at you again.

"More adventurers no doubt. Your here looking for it too? Everybody's an adventurer these days. I'm not afraid, they always say. No monsters are gonna get ME. I'll show them my sword-arm and bash their skulls in. Or I'm the greatest magician in the realms, or my skills in unarmed combat are unmatched. If everybody's so great then how come they don't come back in one piece. Flesh-burns, missing limbs, teeth-marks the size of...."

The Beggan stopped when he saw the puzzled looks on the party's faces. "Hey, wait a minute. You guys don't even look like the adventuring type. What are you thieves? Come here to loot this place? I should call the Rennibister Guard for the way you just barged in here like that. I bet you don't even know where this portal leads, do you?" The Beggan gives a short laugh.

"Maybe it leads nowhere. Maybe it leads straight into a stone wall. You'd really be screwed then wouldn't you? You adventurers are all the same. Jumping through some portal when you don't even know where it goes. All for your fortune and glory. Let me give you a tip. Do you want to know what's beyond that portal? There's an object sooo magical and sooo powerful that once you activate the orb, anyone within its range immediately feel its effects. You will be more happy than you've ever been before. It can heal anyone's unhappiness. Even the really unhappy. It is the Orb of Eternal Happiness.

Everyone should have one of these, but unfortunately there's only one of them and it's gonna be mine! It's on the other side of this portal and was owned by a great Beholder. Very wise and very powerful. But for some reason he's locked it up inside his tower which is surrounded by a great labyrinth. And then he abandoned it. Why would someone do that? I've heard there are other orbs which have different effects there too. Finders keepers I say. But its a dangerous place on the other side so if your thinking about going there you'd better be prepared. There's no turning back. At least not through this portal!"
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

Bri, you get the 3 remasters for free if you buy BTIV. It took some getting used to, but ended up really getting into the Beta version. Looking very forward to the full game release. I have been digging the remaster, as well. I was also excited when Heineman was brought on board to do the remaster, as Burger did BTIII. They never followed through with anything though. They have been talking a Dragon Wars sequel, funded through Kickstarter for several years now, and that seems to have died on the vine, as well. I have been playing the remaster, and love the updates to it, as well as having better graphics. I did come across an anomaly. I am able to cast Fanskars Focus, which was in BTII, not BTI. Well worth the coin I plunked down.
chaney
Stalker

Post by chaney »

I have been playing the full version for several weeks now, and am totally loving it. It does take some initial getting used to, but has riddles, puzzle weapons and all kinds of other nuggets that have made it truly enjoyable. The BT I remake was also a blast. So much easier to use than the original. One event that will make a lot of people unhappy though-Spoiler Alert- You only get to have the 99 Berserkers X 4 fight once. No leaving the building, re-entering, APAR and another huge pot of points. ONLY once. The remasters alone were worth the money I put down on BT IV, if BT I is any indicator. I am already hooked for a BT V Kickstarter!!
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Any updates, anyone?
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
slackmg
Townie

Post by slackmg »

Hmmm, place really does seem dead.

BTIV - Like others, took some getting used to, wasn't bad though. One of the last updates though for it nerfed the one feature I used heavily during the later stages, thief ability to hide entire party. After update, a thief can only hide half the party. Was worth the kickstarter investment. Included the new 'directors' cut release, which I have not played yet, not sure it added anything to the game.

The remastered BT 1 - 3 are great. Smooth transition for game to game, all puzzles as I remember them, able to use old pencil maps (some specials cleaned up in remasters). Of course, with auto-mapping in them now, not as needed except to get through a level faster if in a rush. Even if BTIV had been a dog, the remasters would have been worth the price.