Demo Problems...

General Discussion of the DEMO game ONLY please. Do not post spoilers here.

Moderator: Admin

Corgano
Townie

Demo Problems...

Post by Corgano »

Hello all.

I was playing the demo and had it corrupt on me twice. First time I had an item in my inventory that was worth billions of dollars, and the second time I was unable to enter the stores with out crashing.

I have a pc that is running XP, if that matters or not I'm not sure. I guess I'd like to know if the actual game runs better on XP or not. Is the final build of the game more stable than the demo?

I do enjoy playing this game as it's a real throw back to my Bard's Tale days. I hope to enjoy this game and hope the real thing is more stable.

Thanks in advance for reading my questions,
Corgano
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Hey Corgano,
Welcome to DW. Not a lot of support around these days except for a handful of players.
It's been a loooong time since I played the demo (back in early 2004), so don't recall exactly how stable it was--but know it did crash some.

Be sure to save the game often--and also make backup copies of your savegame file (located inside the 'savegame') on a regular basis--just in case you need to go back to some point, or if your savegame file gets corrupted.
I just create a new folder (inside the savegame folder) & call it 'backup' then periodically copy my savegame file into it--then change the name using numbers and short description like 'MYCREW' becomes 'MYCREW--03--post-dungeon-level-4' or whatever..

I've only played the game on Win XP, so can't directly compare, but sounds like it doesn't matter much whether it's XP or Vista or 7. But the game was originally coded on XP, so XP should be as good as it gets.
Tho most systems running Vista or 7 will be newer, thus faster..more Ram, etc.

General tips:
-reboot sys before playing
-then shutdown any other active programs that auto-launch such as anti-virus, etc
-make sure you have the latest audio & especially Video drivers
-try tweaking some of the game's settings.. those that pop up when you first launch

Also, several bugs were fixed well After the demo was released, so if you get the full game--be sure to download the MegaMod (which will include not only additional mods to play, but the patches to booty).

So, generally, Yes--the full game (with patches) should be somewhat more stable than the demo. But you are still likely to get some occasional crashes.. so just Save often & Back up yer Savegame file periodically.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

P.S. -Not positive, but think it's better if you start a whole new game with the MegaMod in place.. to avoid issues with certain items, etc.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
Corgano
Townie

Post by Corgano »

Thank you Growler. I'll have to invest in the full version then since it's more stable. And yeah, backing up those files are a great idea. Thanks for taking your time to read this and reply. I appreciate it and will back up the file very often.

Corgano
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

Hey, did you get to try out the full game? (hopefully with the MegaMod?)

If so, how did it work out?
Fun? Fewer bugs/crashes?

Really a shame the game's source-code still hasn't been released--if it were, then there are some here (hopefully still here?) who could fix some remaining bugs & such.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor