Where is the savegame file and is version 2.0 playable ?

General Discussion of the DEMO game ONLY please. Do not post spoilers here.

Moderator: Admin

saintus
Townie

Where is the savegame file and is version 2.0 playable ?

Post by saintus »

I´ve downloaded my copy of the game from Gamers Gate. Is 2.0 stable and ok to play ? Or must I install some mods to be able to complete the game and which one if so ?

Question 2, where do I find my save game ? It is not in the Devil Whiskeys directory and I cannot find my savegame name in under my users directory either in windows 7. I need to be able to backup up savegame.

Thanks in advance for any help
Growler
Necrolord

Post by Growler »

v2.0 was semi-stable for me.. I managed to play thru the entire game (sans mods), but encountered some crashes along the way. I then later applied 1 or 2 official patches, then the MegaMod.

You may want to read thru some other posts related to this sort of thing.. but generally, I'd suggest going ahead & getting/applying the MegaMod patch/update. Tho double-check if the MegaMod can be properly applied to v2.0. Or if you may? need v2.0a/b first..??

Haven't played DW in Win7, so not sure.. in XP the 'savegame' directory (incl your savegame file) is right there in the main DW directory.. anyone else playing via Win7 know where the savegame is stored? -I'm surprised it's not in the main directory.. :?
You might do a system search for either 'savegame' or whatever you named your game/party..

edit:
I'd suggest making multiple backups of your savegame file.. after significant objectives achieved. I created a sub-directory within my 'savegame' directory, then copied the main savegame file into it periodically, and extended the name.. like adding '..post-Level2ofStarterDungeon. By the time I'd finished the game, I had a couple dozen savegames I could then go back to..for replay, or along the way if my savegame got corrupted, or hit some dead-end, party death, etc. I rarely needed to go back, but it was nice having the option. 8)
Esp since DW only allows a single savegame slot.
No Contraries : No Progression.
Opposition is true friendship, unless one is opposed to true friendship or (try) Resisting here http://www.cafepress.com/notheresistor
saintus
Townie

Post by saintus »

I found my savegame file in a hidden system folder in Win7 under:

C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\DevilWhiskey
dragonbait
Stalker

Post by dragonbait »

VirtualStore? It seems like there might be different default settings for these Gamersgate downloads.

I was able to play through DW version 2.0 all the way through and only remember it crashing once or twice, but I had installed the game from the CD and played in on Windows XP.

There were a 3 official patches. 2.0, 2.01 beta, and 2.01a beta.

The patch that is included with the Megamod is basically the official patches tweaked with some additional fixes by RicksTavern (RT) which he previously released as un-official 2.01b patch. Besides the 2.01b patch it has all of the released mods/additional quests.

In DW version 2.0 there are some leveling issues among other things. I got to the Guard Tower, and had to leave and battle allot of stone clerics at the arena in order to gain a few levels before returning to the Guard Tower. Even by the end of the game I had not made it to the Warlock levels.

The patched version will make you level quicker but be advised that monster ranged attacks are much more potent in the patched version. You will die more often early on but be able to get to higher spell levels later on. Some of the mods were originally created for version 2.0 and are thus more difficult when played with the patched version.

Prior to the Megamod, if people wanted to play any of the mods they had to install them individually. The Megamod was created so that there is just one download with all add-ons and the most up to date patch in one swoop.

If you decide to install the Megamod, I recommend that you create a new party after installing it so to avoid savegame issues .

Happy Adventuring. 8)